Paradigm: Studio ADP vs Studio 20 for surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I'm finally going to be picking up some surround speakers for my HT, and am trying to decide between the Studio ADPs and the Studio 20s. The speakers will be bought in Canada by my father, so I won't be able to test the direct vs dipole in my setup.

The speakers will be matched with Studio 80s and a Studio CC across the front, powered by an HK AVR8000. I've got everything setup temporarily in my family room, until I finish the basement (probably still 6+ months from completion). The family room is a large (20'x24') room with cathedral ceilings (not exactly optimal). Once the basement is complete, the theater will be in a 24' x 15' room with 9' ceilings.

The system will definitely be used more for theater than multi-channel music. After the move to the basement, I will also be adding 2 more surround speakers for 7.1 (I have the concept of dipole sides and direct rears in my head, but not sure if that's accurate).

So, which to go with?

2. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Oh, I forgot to mention that surround placement in my current room is going to be kind of funky. The surrounds will be at a 45 degree angle to the listener (it's a corner placement) and about 9' off the ground. One surround will be closer to the primary listening point than the other.

Obviously, this is a screwy setup for now, and I want to optimize it as best as possible for now.

3. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

4. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

I just went through this. I have Studio 100's for my mains, Sudio CC center, Studio ADP's surrounds, and Studio 20's for the back channel. I have a pretty large room (25X24)also. Today I switched the ADP's and the 20's. The difference was shocking. The 20's gave the surrounds a lot more body. I listened to some movies I know well and was floored by how acrrate the 20's were. Likewise the ADP's worked out better as the back channel because they are dipole's they do not draw unwanted attention to themselves. I don't know if this is the best thing for you but I can say it really worked out for me.

5. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm says the way to go is with the ADPs. I have the same problem you do, and I still haven't decided what to do.

If its possible, see if you can take both the ADPs and 20s home. My paradigm deals gives me a week to return the speaker and get full cash back. I'm thinking the only way to truely know which way is better is listening to both kinds.

6. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Unfortunately, a return isn't an option - they're being bought 1800 miles from where I live. [​IMG]
    If anyone else has any input, it would be appreciated. I have to figure out what to do by the end of the week...

7. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

For further clarification, here are some pics of the room in question (click for larger versions).
    Here's a picture of the front speaker array and tv, so you can get an idea how the room is configured:
    [​IMG]
    And here is the rear, where the surround speakers would go (arrows indicate proposed locations):
    [​IMG]

8. FrankW

FrankW Auditioning

I've got Studio 80s fronts and Studio CC center. I tried Studio ADPs for sides and did direct compares to Studio 20s. My preference was for the Studio 20s on the side. Thinking of trying the ADPs for the rears.

9. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I have Studio 40s front, CC center, ADPs on the side and atoms for the rear. Last weekend I decided to switch the ADPs to the rear and robbed my mini monitors from my second system for the sides. In my room (23'wide x 13'deep), the mini's work much better especially for sacd multichannel music but also for movies. The ADPs actually work quite well for the rears since my room is very short front to back with the main chair up against the back wall. In retrospect, I wish I had bought Studio 20s instead of the ADPs.

10. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson Agent

I would go with the 20s. Dipoles sound really crappy with DVD A or any of the concert disks. If you go 7.1 then the two back speakers could be dipoles.

11. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I have Studio 100's and a Studio CC up front and use 2 pairs of Studio 20's for the surrounds (one pair is for Surround Back L/R).

I often wonder if I should have gone with ADP's for the Left/Right surrounds and left of the 20's for the Surround back channel.

Depending on how you wire things then you could use the two surround back speakers as surround L/R for 5.1 music and all of the speakers for movies.

Regardless... with your room setup I would recommend going with the 20's. To properly place the ADP's they need to placed against a long/flat un-interrupted wall. You really aren't even supposed to have doors and windows on the wall in question. You can't even place them flat against a wall.

Besides if you ever move into a better shaped room you good move the 20's to surrounds back and then invest in a pair of ADP's for the sides.

-Alan

12. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Where were all you people last week? [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, all of the latest comments are too late to have any effect on the purchase decision. My father is in Canada already, and should have purchased the speakers by now. This thread here is predominately leaning towards the 20s, while a couple others at other forums are pretty evently split. So, basically, there's no clear way to go here.
    I decided to go with the ADPs for a couple of reasons:
    1) Sitting in the primary listening spot, it just didn't seem that a direct radiating speaker at one of the locations would work out right. Can't really explain this very well, but just a feeling.
    2) The savings on the ADPs is going to be greater in Canada, than the 20s. I can pretty easily find a used pair of 20s for pretty cheap, whereas used ADPs are hard to come by. I'll eventually want both ADPs and 20s (when I move to 7.1 in the basement), so I can't go TOO wrong with the ADPs.
    3) Multichannel music is not important to me at this point. I don't have any multichannel music sources, and don't plan to purchase any soon.
    Maybe I'll end up happy with the ADPs, maybe I won't. Time will tell. Now, I just have to figure out how the hell to run the wires without making the room look tacky...
    Thanks for all the input...

13. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

Jason:

I have 40, CC, and ADP, and I am happy with them. Like you, I will buy 20 when I move to 7.1. I might put ADP side and 20 back, or the other way around. Please share your experience with ADP when you get a chance. Thanks.

James

14. Daniel Levin

Daniel Levin Extra

Jason,
    I went through the same deliberation. I ended up buying the Studio ADPs. I do not regret my decision. The ADPs are not as finicky to position as some say. Paradigm says you can even place them on stands. I have mine mounted 7 ft. up on the side walls, about 15 ft. apart. Enjoy yours!