Paradigm studio 60v2, how much power is needed?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by michael_mo, Aug 11, 2003.

1. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

Studio 60 v2 owners.. What amp are you using and how much power would you recommend?
    I will most likely get a Yamaha or Denon receiver (due to what my local stores carry), but would be open to Pioneer Elite or Marantz

2. BrunoPC

BrunoPC Auditioning

I am currently using the Pioneer Elite 49TXi to power my Studio 60s (along with the CC, ADPs, and 20s in the rear). Plenty of power from this receiver to power all the speakers, but great in direct mode to the 60s. I have also used the Denon 3801 in the past, and it also supplied enough power for the 60s, though it couldn't make the speakers sing quite as well as the Pioneer. Much smoother highs as well with the Pioneer. But you pay for that extra quality.

3. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I have the Paradigm Studio 40s v2 and I originally was using a Yamaha RX-V995 to power all speakers (I have the 40s as my mains and surrounds and the CC as the center). The Yamaha is rated at 100W per channel and did an admirable job as moderate levels. I'm now just using my Yamaha as a pre/pro and using a separate amp, the Anthem MCA50 (5x225w)to power the speakers. I found a substantial difference ... especially the dynamic range, head room, cleaner sound (a lot less distortion). I moved to a separate amp because I moved my HT to a bigger room and I like to listen at reference, and the Yamaha could not keep up (too much distortion was introduced, making it sound too load). With the new amp reference doesn't sound as loud ... don't get me wrong it is LOUD.

The amount of power you need ultimately depends on the size of room, and your listening levels. I am of the belief that more power is better than less, as distortion will ruin a speaker more so than power. I have reference as a goal, and I'm almost there. I can drive my speakers no problem, but my subs only [​IMG] produce 115dB at 20hZ.

I'm very happy with the Anthem MCA50. I found this amp to be a very good value option especially here in Canada.

Good luck!

Mass

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

I'm using an HK 525 for my 60's and it does fine for 95% of my listening.

But for the other 5%, the amp starts clipping at higher levels, and you can really hear it in the tweeter. I really notice it on my Chris Botti CD.

More power is better, IMHO, unless your talking about super efficient speakers like the Avante Gardes or something of that nature.

5. HenkD

HenkD Auditioning

I used to drive my Studio 60's with a Rotel 1075 (120 watts x 5), but never found the speakers to perform optimally. There was a large amount of distortion, even at mid volume settings, especially when playing classical music. I the bi amped the speakers with the Rotel - what a difference that made! IMHO the Studio 60's require no less than 200 watts.

Currently I use Studio 100s for my fronts (driven by a Rotel 1090, 380 watts x 2) and two Studio 40's for centres (driven by the Rotel 1075 bi-amped). The sound? Enormous...

6. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I initially powered my Studio 60's with a Yamaha RX-V3000 (110 wpc I think). I thought the sound was great. Then I borrowed a Bryston 4B-ST (factory tested at 313wpc) from a dealer for a weekend. The improvement in the 60's sound was incredible. The Bryston is still in the rack, and I had to give the dealer a cheque in lieu of returning it. Dirty trick by the dealer if you ask me.

So in answer to the question of how much power do the 60's need, I think you would be very happy with 100W and ecstatic with 200W or more.

Wayne

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I think that the more power you got the better it is! I'm driving my Studio-100 with a Bryston 4BSST (2X350W) and the sound is incredible. I agree that for the 60's and 100's 200W is a minimum, having a RMB-1095 (5X200W) to compare to. IMHO. Some people are having great results with 2X100W to power those Studio-60 and 100, but they have to live with the dreaded "but what if I was using more watts to power those..."[​IMG]