What's new

Paradigm Studio 60s in Veneer or Laminate (1 Viewer)

Lee Jenkins

Auditioning
Does anyone know if the sound is different between the Veneer version and laminate version of the Paradigm Studio 60s? I auditioned the veneer model because the shop I was at did not have any of the laminate versions in stock. I like the veneer version but they are a lot more expensive, so I ordered the laminate because the sales person indicated that they sounded exactly the same and the appearance is the only difference. If there is a difference then I will go swap them for the Veneer version. If anyone has any experience with both please tell me your thoughts. Thanks.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
There is a small sonic difference between the laminate vs. veneer versions of Paradigm Reference speakers. It has to do with how the box is constructed. On the laminate boxes, the top, bottom and sides are composed of a single piece of wood, with the front and back being the 'caps'. On the veneer versions, the front, back, top and bottom are the one piece, with the real wood sides acting as the caps.

The real-wood models have a slightly stiffer cabinet which results in a slightly cleaner midband. The difference is there, but its subtle.

/Jeff

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Lee

Both speakers have the same components and are built
the same way from MDF board . The finish is then glued
on be it veneer with real wood sides or laminate.
The difference is in the way they look and how much
they cost .

Robert

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I suspect the only difference would be that veneered MDF is slightly thicker than laminate. Factories press laminate onto MDF and then shave it flat to a specified number. Veneer is thin sheets of wood glued onto MDF and can be done at home or at a small shop with a roller or press.

I prefer laminate cause it is more flat and less work. Veneer costs more because it means more labor with the freedom of choosing what grain to use. With veneer you can actually do grain matching while factory laminated sheets have different levels of quality. A sheet of maple laminate can cost $80 or $200 depending on the grain while a sheet of dbl sided ebony can cost around $800+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.