Paradigm Studio 60s as large?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I noticed the low end frequency response is 30hz on these. Anyone running them as large? If you are how do you like it?

Thanks

Legairre

2. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know if anyone has measured the bass extension on these speakers? I have heard people say you need a sub with these speakers even for music! As an owner of the 60's, I would bet they get into to 30's (hz).

Any thoughts?

JK

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    A tweeter can play down to 30Hz (you just won't be able to hear it). Ignore the specs... very very few loudspeakers can play down to 30Hz at high levels with low distortion. I own Studio 40s (same as 60s w. the bottom chopped off) and run them as "small". Setting these to large will give you more distortion during loud bass transients... let you subwoofer handle this tough duty.

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Why do people say/think the 40's are just small 60's?
    I have the v2-40's then relocated them to a new room
    for the v2-100's.
    Wife then wanted to go smaller so now I have the
    V2-60's, in my main setup.
    The 40's are not 60's! The 60's have over twice the internal volume of the 40's (22litres/.77cuf)
    and the 60's (48litres/1.7cuf) this alone is key to help with undistorted/flat bass at higher output levels.
    They indeed are spec similar as to the Low Frequency
    Extension. with the 40's @ 34Hz, and the 60's @ 30Hz.
    BUT at what db levels?
    The 40's can not match the 60's here.
    The 60's handle the bass very well crossed at or below

5. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I have Studio/60s, and currently run them as large. I have an unusual situation, though, in that my subwoofer is not in the same league (it's a borrowed Mirage BPS-100.) I've done frequency sweeps and my mains extend just as low as my sub does. Unfortunately, my room isn't symmetrical, so my left main gets more room reinforcement of bass than the right.

Once I get a larger sub next week, I plan to run them as small.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Marc, I have to defend the little Mirage BPS-100 as I have one in my system. While I can see it's limitations in your system (especially for HT, for which I feel it just plain SUCKS). However, for music I think it's a fine performer, especially to augment bookshelf speakers. I have Paradigm 40's as mains, and I feel the BPS-100 does a fine job for music and will definately be salvagable until I can upgrade to an SVS in 2003. But you are right...to augment towers it may not have much benefit.

7. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

8. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Evan, sorry if I was a bit harsh. Once the BPS-100 was the best thing in my system (augmenting my Fisher 1-way mains, hooked up to an all-in-one minisystem that probably had about 5 watts per channel) and it certainly blended well and added some nice impact. Still does.
    For music with the Studio/60s, though, it doesn't seem to add much that the mains can't handle themselves; not too shocking, since the drivers are similar in size. I even tried setting them to "small" on the theory that letting the sub handle bass would let the mains do better, but it didn't seem to do anything dramatic.
    Not sure what SVS you're considering, but I'm upgrading to a pair of 20-39CS+s. I'll let you know if I notice an improvement. [​IMG]