Paradigm Studio 60 vs. Klipsch RF-35's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenneth Harden, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I have been looking around and I am looking at the Klipsch RF-35's and Paradigm Studio 60's. Anyone have experience with both speakers? They both seem nice.

The Klipsch's look like they would kick much more @$$ than the Paradigm's output wise, but both speakers look good.

Any insight?

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I prefer teh overall sound of Paradigms over Klipsch personally, but I have a friend who's the opposite, both sound very good it really gets down to your preference, and listening preferences

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I had a set of Klipsch speakers from the line that predated the reference series that I replaced with Studio 40s. When I was looking for speakers I also listened to the Klipsch RF-5. I like Klipsch, but they do have a distinctive sound which some people don't care for. I loved the Klipsch speakers when I had them in a small room, but when I put them in the living room of my new house it brought out the worst in the speakers. For lower volume listening, the Klisch will give lots of detail, but they tended to hurt my hears when I turned them up loud. They're good for HT too. The Paradigms are more of a neutral speaker that are incredible with voices. I like them a lot, and they don't wear me out. The 40s work better in the room that I have them in. I'm looking at possibly setting up a second system in a smaller room, and if I can find a pair of Klipsh RB5s cheap I'll use those as the speakers. Both are excellent and I don't think you can go wrong. One thing to consider is Klispch don't need much power, and the Paradigms love power. Hope this helps, and do yourself a favor and listen to both. They have very different sounds.

4. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

It' all about the amplification ...

If you have access to or eventually plan to use tubes then definitely Klipsch ... If not try getting a demo of both speakers with the hardware you plan to use ...

Can't go wrong either way ...

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Thanks guys!

If it helps, I listen to some movies, but mostly music, mainly electronic music, and some rock. No classical or jazz to a serious extent (but obviously, both speakers would excel at both, or they would suck)

The Studio 60's go for about a grand, right?

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I believe Studio 60s retail for $1500 and you can expect to get 20% off that price. Some get more - some get less... You can't lose either way - I feel the studios are smoother, but the Klipsch will peel the hair off your head with a little bit of power. You'll enjoy either one - have fun!

7. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

I could definitely tell a major difference between different receivers when listening to the Klipsch's. There was a LARGE difference in sound between the Denon and Yamaha receivers that were used when auditioning the speakers. The Denon was the way to go for me, it sounded much warmer than the Yamaha. If you can, try to audition those with the amp that you will actually be using.

8. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

Good point - Receivers do vary in sound quality, both music as well as HT.

On speakers, I prefer the presence of the Klipsch sound and the efficiency. You will never bottom out with the Klipsch, and the louder they play, the better they sound.

Good luck!

9. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Ken:

Klipsch vs Paradigm...

Swordfish vs Filet Mignon...

Which do you prefer?

Only by tasting them can you decide. (I prefer a nice swordfish steak, but that's just me).