Paradigm Studio 60-2nd impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Dunlap, Jul 1, 2002.

1. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

A few weeks ago I said that I had A/B'd the Paradigm Monitor 11's to the Studio 60's and actually preferred the 11's. Well, after owning the Monitor 11 v.3's for about a week and taking a 2nd listen to the Studio 60's all I can say is "forgive me Father for I have sinned!". The 60's KILL the Monitor 11's !!

I'm thinking that my initial preference for the Monitors has a lot to do with the source material I was listening to: Robert Cray-Strong Persuader. This is one of my favorite CD's. Unfortunately what I have come to realize is that it's not great demo material. I really should have auditioned each speaker with a much broader music selection.

Well anyway, I have learned a valuable lesson. In the future I will not be so hasty making speaker purchases and I will realize that there are a million variables that make a speaker sound good or bad. If there is one thing I hate it's buyer's remorse!

BTW-I am trading in the Monitor 11's along with the CC-370 for a pair of Studio 60's and a Studio CC. A lot more money than I hoped to spend but hopefully these will keep me happy for a few years!

2. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

You can get the 60s used and you can save alot of money. www.audiogon.com I sold my 60s for $650

3. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

john, i was there!
    i came to the store to get the 11's, due to great reviews in audioreview.com, and just asked to a/b them to a pair of 60's, which were too expensive for me too. (not buy much though),
    my stadard was Gladiator, swards, arrows, fights, music...
    in the store, within 15 seconds of comparing, they eat the 11's for breakfest!!! what was total cacofony, loud noise, forward ear bleeding sound from the 11's, turned into controlled soundstage, resolution, neutral transparency, and turned me into an ametuer audiophile instantly!...
    i have them for 6 months now, and they still amaze me!
    [​IMG]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

John,

Glad you can hear and appreciate the difference between the Monitor series and the Reference line. I know I have the Studio 20's, moved them to my PC room, bought the Monitor P90's and had them for a month or so.

After that time period, it was necessary for me to upgrade to a higher Paradigm model to bring myself back to what I was accustomed to from the past.

The Monitor line is great for the $$$'s as is the Reference . However, personally I prefer the Reference. Many times it's your budget or your ears just like those Monitors. I think you are correct. The 60's do sound much, much better then the 11's IMHO, but there are many who truly gravitate to Monitors.

Charles

5. John Dunlap

I still think that the Monitor 11 is an amazing speaker for the $$. I would have been perfectly content with them if I did not have the opportunity to experience how great the Studio's are. The CC-370 however was a little mediocre IMHO. But, I guess what can you expect for $300.

I can't wait to bring those Studio 60's home. I feel like I will be stepping up to a new level of HT.

6. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

John,

I did, in essence, the same thing. I had bought the Monitor 7v2 and the CC-370v2 and had them in my system for about 2 months. After taking the whole hook, line, and sinker with respect to home theater/music listening, I traded them in for the Studio 60v2 and the Studio CCv2. Pleasant difference.
    Isn't the anticipation great!

David

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

What's everyone amping their studio speakers with?

8. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Chuck,

I currently have the Studio 60v2 bi-wired to a Denon 3802. I will hopefully soon have them hooked up to a Parasound HCA 1205A amp.

David

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Chuck,

I've made some changes to my system the past couple of months and this is where I currenly stand with the Studios.

Main System:

At the moment, I am bi-amping my 100's with a Sherbourn 5/1500A. 2 X 200 or 400 per speaker.

Center CC with the Sherbourn at 200.

For rears in this system, I am using an Aragaon 8002/2 Channel 125 X 2 for a Pair of Studio 20's.

Computer Room:

In this room, I will be biamping a pair of 40's (should be here on Friday (7/5) with a Parasound 855A 2 X 85 or 170 per speaker.

I'd like to have one of those Earthquake amps. Lots more power, but for these speakers, I am ok with the juice going into them.

I once powered the 20's with a Sony 777ES which is 115 per channel and to be frank, it sounded fine. There is a difference with more power, but you can get by with that amount in my opinion.

Best regards,
    Charles

10. John Dunlap

I'm running my 60's and CC off of a Marantz MM-9000. Very nice amp for what it cost. Next year I would really like to step up to a Rotel or Parasound if I can find a deal.

One thing I noticed at the dealer is that the Studio 80's I heard running off of a Yamaha receiver sounded on the bright side. Then I heard the 60's powered by a NAD amp. Whoa! What a difference! Very clean sounding on the NAD.

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I've had my 60's and still love them to death. Especially since I just added a Parasound 1205A to them. Now with the new amp its seems like I now have the same smile I did when I first brought my 60's home a year ago. I'm in audio nirvana!