Paradigm Studio 40s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keiwana, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Keiwana

Keiwana Stunt Coordinator

Please help...

I am going to buy a pair of studio 40's & a new amp. I was informed by my dealer that I need to upgrade my speaker wire. He stated that I needed a better wire. I am currently using a mid-level monster cable speaker wire.

This brings me to my question, what type and gauge of wire are you using with your 40's?

Does the higher price wire provide better performance?

I am aware that the topic of audio cables and wire has been discussed in the past. I am not trying to start a debate. I was just wondering what you guys are using.

[​IMG]

2. Larry_C250

Larry_C250 Auditioning

Probably just wants to make more money off you. What gauge are you currently running, and how long is your speaker wire? Just so you know, if it's less than 50 feet per speaker, you can run 16 gauge without a problem. And if you do need speaker wire - and the dealer is pushing it on you, I wouldn't pay more than a $1.00 a foot (before connectors)i.e. buy it somewhere else.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Sounds like he is trying to increase his commission. Good advice above on not spending more than a $1 a foot. By the way, I just bought a pair of of the 40's v.3. Nice full sound with decent low end for a "bookshelf". I am using some semi-DIY wire consisting 14 guauge 4 conductor in-wall and banana plugs tech flex and heat shrink tubing to make it look nice. When I get a chance I am going to compare it to standard 12 guage wire.

4. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Wow, with all the press that A/V cables have been getting, I'm surprised that anyone still tries this crap. Stick with what Larry and Andrew have suggested and you'll be just fine.

J
    [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I completely agree with the first two posters. There is a small potential for improvement, but of the things in the chain of your sound, speaker wire will make the least difference. If he were telling you to get decent interconnects that would be one thing, but speaker wire I wouldn't go crazy with.

As Larry said, as long as the ga. is correct for the length you are going to run, you should be fine. I am using Monster X1S for my mains, which are similar to 40s, right now and it works great. I've also run v3 40s in the same setup.

I have used short runs of $3/ft solid 4 conductor wire, and the difference was hardly worth mentioning.

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I have Studio 40s and learned the hard way... I was running monster cable speaker wire to them while I waited for the Audioquest Type 6 speakers to be delivered. When I switched over, I couldn't hear a difference. I've since experimented with 14g RCA wire and all sound the same to me.

The dealer initially suggested that I get the audioquest cables with the batteries attached to them. I just couldn't convince myself to pay $500+ for cables, but he did end up selling me a $250 set of cables that I really didn't need.

If you want cables that look good, are well constructed, and make a solid connection then I would say get a higher end cable. However, if you want something that's inexpensive that just plain works without consideration of looks and construction skip the expensive stuff.

7. Jeff shark

Jeff shark Extra

Nice speakers!
    I almost bought a set, but after a comment from my g/f about making my own, I decided to go that route LOL.

Anyways, I'm glad to see the comments above, I totally agree with all of them.
    As long as it's decent quality (flexable, nice casinng etc) & the AWG is large enough, then you should be good to go.

There's are alot other factors that can change the sound, wiring being one of the least.

I use 14awg from Home Depot with some Banana plugs from PE.
    Might try some techflex & heatshrink someday to make em look pretty [​IMG]

8. NathanT

NathanT Auditioning

Here's a page with some wire information that might be of interest.

roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable