What's new

Paradigm Studio/40's Owners: Do you guys use it with or without the speaker grill? (1 Viewer)

BruZZi

Second Unit
I'm still waiting to receive my Studio/40's back ordered from a local dealer here in New York. Obviously it looks much better without the speaker grill (IMO) and that's the way I want to use it. But I wanna know if you guys think the sounding is much brighter or somewhat worse when not using the grill?

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Grilles should make absolutely no difference in the sound. I personally leave the grilles on my Monitor 7's on, but the Studio line, IMHO would look great with them off.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
It says right in the manual that the speaker is designed to be used with the grilles ON for it diffuses the sound of the tweeter. Whenever the manufacturer suggests I use their product in a certain way for optimum performance, I usually do just that. Also, where would I put the grilles if I didn't use them? Finding a place to store them would be a problem I don't have to face this way.

For what it's worth, I have tried to listen with the grilles off and I think it would take a very discriminate ear to hear the difference, but for the reasons stated above, I leave them on.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Evan. Keep the grills on. If you look at the grills, they are made to form around the drivers and tweeter. Paradigm recommends leaving them on. Plus it keeps curious fingers and dust away from the drivers.

For what it's worth ... I've listened with and with-out grills (not too critically mind you) and couldn't tell a difference either way.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, with the grill off, the sound is slightly more forward and image is a bit better. But you might not prefer it b/c some people consider that too 'bright' so with the leave the grill on to tame it. So for me it depends on the type of music I am listening to and what I am in the mood for.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I leave my grilles off all the time - the speakers look like they were made for it! :D
It has that GWF with the grilles off, which it doesn't with them on.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The Paradigm Reference line is designed to be used with the grilles on. The grilles actually form part of the front baffle and their use will aid in minimizing diffraction.

/Jeff

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Dave. I can hear a difference with my 40's with or without grill on. I don't claim to be a golden ear audiophile but certain sounds seems to snap into focus more without the grill.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have tried both ways and can't tell the difference. I leave the grills on, since I don't have any place to store them.

DonJ

Second Unit
I have a complete Monitor setup

Monitor 9

Mini Monitor

CC370

PS1000

And I can hear a definite diference between with and without.

With the sound is warmer and not so bright. Also the staging has more depth to it.

With out they have a brighter sound the highs sound a little more arie. The staging is more shallow and not as layed.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I have the atoms and they dont freakin come off
I just bought a pair of Titans (Delivered saturday... Just 5 more days!!!) And they have the same problem. Not that I wanna run them without grills but taking them off is good for taking pictures of them and I'm one of those who likes to pet the drivers especially at the store, so that I can feel what they are made of!

Nathan Cook

Agent
i think im gonna use a sharp knife to carefully cut off the grills on my atoms. i will then reattach them by drilling holes into the speaker and carefully inserting pegs into the grill. once this is complete i will remove and reattach the grill all day long.:angry:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nathan :laugh:
I live the grills ON on my Monitor 7. First reason is protection agaisnt dust and other things - it would be really stupid to accidentally poke a driver with say... a hanger. Stranger things have happened. Then there is the sound. I left them off for a few weeks and it seems the sound is crisper, more forward. But later on I realised that this just makes this highlights the speakers (both visually and sonically). Since I would rather have them dissapear, I put the grills back on.
--
Holadem

Jedd

Second Unit
Right now, by accident, I have 2 pairs of 40's - one in black ash and one in light cherry. IMO the light cherry looks better with the grills on, black ash looks better without.

As for the usage I prefer to keep grills on.

BruZZi

Second Unit
Well, I went yesterday to my local dealer to do some comparison. Since the Studio/40's wasn't in one of those private rooms :frowning:, was very difficult to hear any difference in sound quality(grilles in/grilles out) with so many people coming to the store and crossing in front of it. Except that... I thought the sound was a little bit brighter without the speaker grill. I'm gonna have to wait until I bring them home so I could do a "nobody-to-bother-test" :D
Right now, by accident, I have 2 pairs of 40's
Jedd, I envy you !!! :)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I don't have the 40's, but the 60's. I have tried it both ways and prefer the grills left on. The sound is a wee bit warmer.

In addition, I think they are really ugly without the grills on....

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks