What's new

Paradigm Studio 40's or PSB Stratus minis? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I like both of these speakers but have been offered the Stratus Minis used for $675.00 shipped with the matching stands - the msrp on these speakers are $1,100.00 and the stands are $220.00. I have been offered the Studio 40's used in black laminate for $850.00 shipped with the J50 stands - the msrp on the 40's are $900.00. It seems that I am getting the better deal on the PSB's and have been told that they are slightly better for music listening than the 40's, hence the slight price difference. The online Stereophile review for the minis was quite outstanding. I don't like the fact that the Minis are NOT shielded, but the Paradigms I believe are. I have to decide within the next few days, so would please like opinions from those who have heard/auditioned both. I am stepping up from JBL N26's so I don't think I'll lose out whichever one I decide to go with!

Reg

btw, I am using a Denon 3803, Denon DVD-1600 (soon to be replaced with the 2900), and a Sony SCD-C222es changer.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
You gotta listen to the speakers yourself man...i myself have a pair of minis and i love them, in my opinion they beat out the 40s...but YOU'VE GOTTA LISTEN AND MAKE THE DECISION, go look for some local dealers and demo them...

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I believe the shielding on the 40's is an extra, so if you haven't, you should confirm whether or not the offer includes it.

Martin.

Nick V

Second Unit
I listened to both and ended up with the Mini's. Try to go to a local dealer and at least listen to them before you decide which ones to buy. They have a very different sonic character, so you might prefer one to the other.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks guys.

I will be going out to audition both of these tomorrow. I have heard that the Mini's are warmer and more forgiving with poorly recorded material. Thus far, it sounds like they're the speaker for me, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. The 40's will have to out distance the mini's by a considerable margin since I would have to pay $175.00 more for them. Btw, will the lack of shielding on the Mini's really impact my television that much? The people who have them seem to love them, and I really haven't heard loads of complaints regarding their lack of shielding.

Reg

Nick V

Second Unit
It depends on how far they'll be away from your tv. My speakers are about 2 feet away from my tv, and there is absoulutely NO magnetic interference whatsoever. If they're any closer than that, there might be some.

Also, the magnetic shielding on the Paradigm speakers is an option, so unless the ad specifies magnetic shielding, you shouldn't assume it.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Nick.

My Speakers are 3 feet from my television so I should be fine. I know the sensitivity of the minis are such that something like a Denon 3803 should be able to easily drive them. I have seen reviewers over at audioreview.com claim that their reeivers were ill-equipped to handle the Status series, which I found odd since they were engineered to be used with mid-fi receivers/amps as well as higher-end separates.

Reg

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Hey i just listened to the new platinum line today....*drool* they SWEEP the floor with the stratuses! omg......sorry to steal this post but YEAH!!

Nick V

Second Unit
How much do the bookshelves in the silver line go for?? Aren't they ridiculously expensive??

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Khoa,

The Platinum Line is that much better!?!?! I know the flagship tower in this line is like $6,500, so they'd BETTER sweep the floor with the Stratus line at those prices. Btw, I got to hear the Studio 20's today at a dealer, but they didn't have the Studio 40's on display to demo and don't carry PSB. Anyway, it pretty much was just like everyone describes. They are beautiful detailed speakers which are very crisp, but I can tell they will not be forgiving with poorly recorded material. I now see why some believe they are bright. It's not so much that, they are just very faithful to the source material. I probably will go with the Stratus Minis at this stage. Afterall, I am stepping up from JBL Northridge speakers, so If I go with the Studio 40's or Minis, I'm sure either of them will be a big step up. Just my auditioning of the 20's proved that to me today.

Reg

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
i would say yes that the new psbs are better but i still prefer the laid back sound of the stratus, because the new line isn't like that at all, it's a whole new direction for paul barton, the mid-high end is much more crisp and detail yet it doesn't seem "bright"....anyways if you prefer the laid back sound then get the psbs, oh yeah the t8s i listened to were powered by a pass labs 350x, x1 pre-amp, nad cd player and taralabs THE ONE speaker cables, THE ONE interconnectors.....talk about a NICE 25k system eh?

Nick V

Second Unit
No kidding!! drool...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
....if you see me on the 10 o'clock news, don't worry! i'm totally happy....attempting to steal that system is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.