What's new

Paradigm Studio 40's or 60's (1 Viewer)

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Trying to decide on the 40's or 60's but the problem is no one stocks the 40's for me to listen to. I can get the Studio 60's alittle cheaper then the 40's with stands.
Studio 60's = $920
Studio 40's with stands $950.Have to be ordered.
I use the PW2200 sub.
Anyway has anyone listened to both 40's & 60's. Which one sounds better? I want to put my Studio 20's to the CB and use 40's or 60's for the fronts. I have heard the 40's sound better then the 60's? Also would these speakers need to be shielded standing right next to a RPTV?

Any opinions?:frowning:

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I have heard the same thing...40's sound a bit better than the 60's...I assume you are using a sub also...I'm going with the 40's myself...now to sell my s26's I recently bought...man...upgraditis:) tom

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check out the hieght of the 60's. I know for me their not tall enough, just a few inches below my ear level. 40's on some nice stands look alot better to me,IMO.

Personally, I went with the 40's. I thought they had better midrange, which I think is what others have thought also. The lower end isn't much better on the 60's, besides if you have a sub and speakers set to small it won't matter too much anyway.

For me the 40's sounded a tad better and I like the look of them on some nice stands, better than the 60's. YMMV

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I've heard the debate go either way but personally I purchased the 40's and they are great!

Mike

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the speaker height of the 60's is a little lower then I like. the 40's on the premier stands would be perfect to ear level when sitting.
This is getting harder and harder.
What do the 40's give you over the 20's?

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Hi Dave!
I've had the 20's, 60's and now 100's. As some of the others here have suggested, I'd recommend the 40's over the 60's -especially if you're planning to use a sub. Here's why: If you're crossed over to the sub, deep bass extension from your mains won't matter much - and that's about all you'll add a wee bit more of with the 60's (4hz, according to the specs on Paradigm's web site). I found with my 60's that the tweeters weren't quite where I wanted them to be. I've heard tell that mids are nicer on the 40's, but can't say I know it to be true from personal experience. I do remember mids on the 60's to be a little strained, though vs. my 100's. You also add 1 db of sensitivity vs. the 60's. Comparing the 40's and 20's, what you should expect is a bit more bass (4hz by the specs) and mids, given the driver configuration.

Hope this helps.

Finally, I'm sure you've been here, but for your reference, here's the spec comparison on the Paradigm site:

Link Removed

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Thanks, yes Ive been to the web site many times and have the booklet too.Yes the 40's have 91 sensitivity.I think Im leaning to the 40's.:D 100's would be a little overkill. What about Magneshield,speakers are right next to RPTV.
Whats weird there is 5 Hz difference for Frequency response from the 20's? 59 Hz 40's to the 20's 54 Hz. I would think the 40's would be lower as the 60's are much lower. HMMMM?

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to both the 40's and 60's for quite some time before ultimately settling on the 60's because I couldn't hear any difference in the midrange. From my understanding, the 60's are just the 40's in a larger enclosure, which does provide for a slightly lower bass extension. Anyway, I've been really happy with my purchase, but I'd recommend buying a separate amp for them, as I always feel like I'm missing something driving them with just my 3802.

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went with the 60's. I had the 40's on order , but after extended listening I liked the 60's sound better. This is just my preference. I had no sub so I liked the little bit of extra base sound. I now have a sub, but still prefer the 60's set to large for music, and no sub. (Might just be my room placement of the sub and not being able to set it up right .)

Either way 40's or 60's you can't go wrong. Both are great, and it comes down to personal preference.

Good luck.

Bob:b

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
Yes you are missing a little something with the 3802. I have been down that road already and moved on to Rotel Amps & seperates, so I am taken care of in the POWER department.;) Where the 3802 really loses it is in the HT department. Where power is depleted.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks