Paradigm studio 40's as surrounds?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by greggor, May 27, 2004.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I already have a studio reference set up with studio 60's as my mains. I was using Atoms for surrounds until one finally died after using them for about 7 years. I can get a great deal on a pair of V2 studio 40's, but I'm wondering if they would be overkill for surround speakers. Comments?

Greg

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, they are a bit of overkill, but they will also make excellent surrounds. When I bought my new speakers, I put my Monitor 5s in back for surround duty and they sounded great. 20s would likely be more appropriate, but if the deal is good on the 40s, I don't see why not.

3. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thats what I figured. Originally I wanted 20's, but I know the studio 40's will sound better and the deal is to good to pass up. I just hate to waste such a great speaker on surround sound duty, perhaps they will make great mains for my bedroom setup someday. [​IMG]

Thanks for the response,

Greg

4. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I bet they would really shine while listening to SACD/DVD-A. I also agree that you shouldn't notice that much of a difference on movies unless you don't have a sub or the rears crossed below 80 for more emphasis on bass.

They are truly remarkable speakers, I loved both the Studio 20's and 40's during an audition I had last year.

5. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

As Matt mentioned above, they'll shine if you run them "LARGE" for SACD or DVD-Audio. For home theater I cross everything over at 60Hz anyway so I never feel that I'm wasting my 100's up front or 20's in the rear.

If you can score some 40's for the price of 20's I say go for it!

Bill

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I'm a huge fan of SACD/DVD audio so the sound improvement over my old Atoms set up is a definate motivating factor for wanting to go with the 40's for the price I can get them for. The 20's would probably be a more logical choice for surrounds if it weren't for the extenuating circumstances. Thanks for the replies.

Greg

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on the price you can get, if the difference is not that much it makes logical sense especially since you are a fan of SACD/DVD-A.