What's new

Paradigm Studio 40(v3). Crossover at 60 or 80 (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just curious what others think about which crossover point I should use with my Studio 40's? Also have 20's in rear, CC-470 center and PW2100 sub.

Kevin

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Try both and decide for yourself.

But I actually prefer 60hz.

I have 20s v.2 and a Studio-CC crossed over at 60. The added bass across the front adds a greater depth to the soundstage. It also helps tighten my PS-1000 and give me richer deeper low bass.

You will have to watch that you do not get any bass nodes or cancellations in your room because of the added bass sources. If so, stick with 80.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
When I owned my 40's I used a 65 crossover with my EAD Ovation+. Prefered it to 80. YMMV, and your ears too.

Now, I still use the 65 cross with my Von Schweikert LCR15's and VR1's. Just sounds tighter, fuller. Yes, speaker placement is critical for this, as B mentioned above. But it adds more punch, if you will. Hsu VTF-2 for sub.

BOK

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
Like BrianWoerndle I use 20's and cc version 2 for the front/center, but I cross at 50hz. the lower you cross at the more muscle (amp power) you need. If your using a receiver to power the 40's then I reccomend 80hz also.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Speakers are powered by a Rotel RMB-1095. The amps the reason I got the speakers. I'll give it a try at 60 and see how it sounds.

Kevin

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
It doesn't matter how powerful your amp or receiver it depends on where your speakers starts to roll off.

The 40's could be crossed at 60 with out much problem, 80 works too. Actually all of your speakers you mentioned can be crossed at 60 without much problems.

A quick way to figure out what to cross your speakers at is take the +/-3dB low frequency, add 10 to it then go up to the next crossover point, that is a good place to start.

Try both see what you like best either should work without losing anything due to where your speakers starts to roll off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks