What's new

Paradigm Studio 40 or Studio 60's both Version 3 (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Hard to say which is better... The 60s are floorstanding speakers and the 40s are large bookshelves. They have the same drivers, and all of the studio servies speakers sound very similar. The only real difference between the two in sound is the 60s play lower. I think the 60s retail for $1500 a pair and the 40s for $1100 a pair. If I were looking for a stereo only pair of speakers, I'd go with the 60s, and if I'm looking at HT with a sub I'd go with the 40s. That's just my opinion... BTW I have 40s, use a 80 hz crossover point, and use a sub.

chris_bester

Agent
ty Mackie I am debting between the 60's & 40's for my fronts because I want to get the cc-570....adp-470 & servo-15 also & I was just curious which for my fronts would be best. oh ya & I dont always watch movies listen to music etc with the sub on because I live in a duplex house & I would disturb my cousin all the time if I did that lives in the basment apartment.

mackie

Supporting Actor

I'd probably go with the 60s then. For music and movies, I feel the 40s need a sub. Both the 40s and 60s work with the other speakers you've listed. Have fun putting this together.

Steve_D

Second Unit
If I were you...

I'd shake things up a bit.

Get the Studio 100's. Skip the Servo 15 and get an SVS.

Oh yeah, that's what I did :D

I also had Studio 40's which I loved, and extensively auditioned the Studio 60. You really can't go wrong with either...40's are easier to resell if you are a constant upgrader since they ship easier, but also require some decent stands to put them on which drive them to a price point close to the 60's. The 60's definetely have a weightier bass to them alone.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with mackie, the 60s would be better than the 40s if you listen without the sub. Steve's idea may even be a better one too, though, because the 100s will get you by without a sub for music for sure. If you are worried about your neighbors, I'd already be concerned about a servo-15. The servo-15 is a very good sub, but SVS has models that are just as good that cost less. The 570 will go better with the 100s as well.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Read the OP's location people....I paid less for my Servo-15 than what any equivalent SVS would cost brought into Canada with the exchange, shipping, border fees and taxes.

Although Paradigm recommends the CC470 for 40/60's I listened to both the 470/570 and it was an easy choice to go with the 570 with my 40v3's.

You'll get more Bass extension with the floor standing 60's, but otherwise as has been said in previous posts there is not much difference between the 40's and 60's otherwise. I also will agree with the above posters about getting the 60's if you plan on listening without a sub now and again.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I was actually thinking along the same lines as Steve about the sub. The servo-15 is an outstanding sub, but so is the PW2200 which costs a lot less. The dealer I bought my Studios from recommended the 2200 over the servo-15 because the 2200 was very close in performance and cost much less.

If the budget is unlimited and you are set on the servo go ahead and get an outstanding sub. However, if you want to save a little cash to put somewhere else in the system consider the other less expensive Paradigm subs.

chris_bester

Agent
cool thanx everyone I am gonna check out the PW-2200 sub also. I dunno about gettting the studio 100's they are alot more $$$, & part of the speaker would be blocked by my sectional unless I get magnesheild ones & put them right beside my tv :) plus I would have to upgrade amp or get another to go with my existing to run them & get all the benifits from them. oh ya I have speaker stands already that are perfect for the Studio 40's (Premier steel tube Stands) which my current Titans are on.

mackie

Supporting Actor
If possible, I wouldn't put speakers up against a TV unless they can compensate for boundary effects.

40s, 60s, 100s any of these will give you a first rate HT. Even the 20s are a fantastic speaker.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I'd go with either the 40's or the 20's with a sub. You'll get better imaging from the bookshelves when listening to music.

Steve_D

Second Unit
Sounds like you want "permission" to buy the 40's :) ...Go for it, like I said I loved mine. You really can't go wrong in the Studio line.

The better imaging with bookshelves is a myth...at any given price point that is probably true but we aren't talking a given price point.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I did not mean to say that all bookshelves image better than their tower counterparts. What I was trying to say was that 20's and 40's, specifically, image better than 60's. I stand by that statement. I've auditioned all of them and that's what I heard. The 20's and 40's tend to disappear; the 60's do not. That's why I bought the 20's. Don't take my word for it; listen to all of them and you decide.

Steve_D

Second Unit
OK Jim, you and I are going to agree to disagree on this, considering I've had Mini-Monitors, then Studio 20's, then Studio 40's, now Studio 100's as my main speakers, over the past 8 years. I'd say you could agree I've listened to the Paradigm line in a familiar environment for quite awhile ...:D

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Steve - Considering that I have only owned the 20's and have only auditioned the others once or twice and notwithstanding what I heard on those few occasions, I will defer to your extensive first-hand experience. I think we can agree that Paradigm makes one sweet speaker line in the Studios. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks