Paradigm Studio 20 vs Totem Mite

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Blaine_M, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I've been debating between these two. Anyone have any suggestions? Infortunately I can't listen to the Mites, I'm just going off of someone's opinion who has a pair.....

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Anyone even heard the Mite?

3. DevinJC

DevinJC Stunt Coordinator

I could rant and rave about the 20s all day, but it wouldn't help you... cause never heard the Mite. Like the 20s though.

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

The Von Schweikert VR-1 will lay waste to both of them. I own Magnepans and have pretty much sworn off most 'box' speakers after adjusting to the planar sound. But I just picked up a pair of VR-1s after recently hearing them at a local dealer. I'm now toying with the idea of a secondary system - one for HT, one for music.

I've owned the 20s, and while they are very good for the money, these little Von Schweikerts will easily best them, IMO. I only have about 50 hrs on them so far (recommended break-in is twice that amt) and they already sound amazing.

If you're only deciding between the two others, though, go for the 'digms [​IMG]

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Alan are the von schweikerts a dipole speaker? I think I'm getting it mixed up with another one.

I haven't heard the Totem, but if you like the Paradigm sound it's a great speaker.

6. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Mackie, I just looked up the Von S....not a dipole speaker. I also read some very nice reviews on them. I'll keep them as an option. Wheaver the best deal I can find between the Studio 20's and possibly the VR-1's I'll give them a shot.

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Mackie: I think what you may be referring to is the rearward-firing tweeter that the floorstanding Von Schweikerts have for greater soundstage depth....The VR-2 has this extra tweeter, and I think several other of their models as well.

By the way, I hope you guys don't take my comments to be negative toward either Paradigm or Totem. I've owned plenty of Paradigms and loved my time with them. They are a great value. I just think the VR-1s are kinda like the Maggie MMGs.....little freaks of a speaker that give you much more for your dollar than just about anything else in the price range.

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Here's a couple reviews I found for both, both rate very well, but after reading these I still feel better about the Studio 20's...

Studio 20's

VR-1's

9. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

AlanZ - some people take this stuff way too seriously. I appreciate that you put your thoughts out there. It's a good way for others to see what else is available besides the standard answers.

I don't think I've ever heard the Von Schweikerts but they seem to get good press. I'd like to hear them one day.

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Mackie: Thanks, I totally agree with you. I've never understood why some people seem to take it personally when someone purchases something other than what they own or recommend....takes all kinds to make the world go 'round though, I suppose [​IMG]

I think I'm just a value junkie, myself....What gets me most excited is when I come across a product that I feel is killer performance for the money. For example, I just picked up a Sanyo Z2 projector. Yeah, it was two generations old when I bought it, but when you consider the impact it's had on my HT given the fact that I paid less than half of what the current model costs, I get excited every time I fire it up. With the 1k I saved I was able to bring these little Von Schweikerts in here to play around with and see what they're all about.

There's just so much good stuff out there....very few right or wrong answers. We all have different tastes and goals, so I'm really glad you said what you did.....cause honestly, I would have never heard of most of this stuff - projectors, speakers, tweaks, etc. - if there weren't good, knowledgable, fun people posting here.

11. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Good value = the Hsu STF-3 that showed up on my door step yesterday[​IMG]

Agreed. It is hard to wade through all the BS out there. It seems everyone has his or her pet theory and approach to good HT. I don't mind paying for quality but nothing gripes me more than to fall for the latest, greatest upgrade fad. I've fallen for a few.

12. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Both the 20 and the Mite are great speakers. It all depends on the type of speaker you want. The 20 is a more up front speaker while the Mite is more laid back. In terms of sound quality, both are on par with each other.

I have auditioned both extensively, and finally decided on the Mite. What sold me on the Mites were their aesthetics (real wood finish, mine is mahogany) and their size. They're able to produce a huge 3D soundstage and produce an awesome amount of bass despite their very small size.

You really can't go wrong with either.

13. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Well, I'm still debating on the choice.....now I'm debating between 3 instead of 2!