What's new

Paradigm Studio 20 v2 - Buzz buzz!! (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
OK, so I bought 2 sets of new Studio 20 v2's a year or so ago to complete my 7.1 (when Paradigm was rolling over to v3), but at the time had no space to set them up. You see, I was planning ahead for a HT in a house, which has now come to fruition.

So, two of the speakers make buzzing (or maybe you'd characterize it as crackling) sounds when playing pink noise test tones. I tested them when I bought them before and they seemed OK at the time.

Thus far I've relegated them to the rears, but I was wondering if anybody knows what's what? It could be that they just need broken in (although I didn't notice this phenomenon with my other 3 speakers), or maybe something else has gone wrong.

There's always warantee repair (once I find the receipt), so I'm too concerned. But I wonder if they'll improve with use?

Thanks,
Martin.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I had a pair of Atoms a couple years ago, and one of them would make this odd, sublte distortion/crackling noise at a certain frequency.....seemed to be a male voice that usually caused it. It was only in one of the two, though. I called up my local shop where I bought them from, and the guy was like, "I don't know....I know how speakers are built, and what you are describing just doesn't sound possible." I couldn't believe the arrogance of this guy.....needless to say I've had a different guy for my Paradigm needs ever since. Anyway, turns out there some sort of distortion going on, to they did replace them out. I don't know if it's the same thing you are describing, but sounds like someting is not quite right with them.

What makes me a little suspicious is that they are both doing it.....

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
AlanZ,

Thanks for the comment. Two of four are, put one is definitely worse than the other. I've tried different amps and cables. Through a process of elimination, I'm certain that it's the speakers.

Martin

cabreau

Second Unit
I have Studio 20's v.3 and I've never had that happen. It happened a few years ago with my Atoms, but it ended up being a faulty receiver.

Scott R. Scherr

Stunt Coordinator
It could be a bad woofer. I had the same issue in one of mine and had it fixed by Paradigm. They replaced the woofer. The speaker has a 5 year warranty.

Scott

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As Scott said, take advantage of the waranty period and take them back to your dealer. They can determine the problem and get the speakers fixed for you.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with two CC370s and a mini monitor. It would happen on the pink noise channel test on S&V and on dialogue, especially during very dynamic scenes. It is a crackling noise at a specific frequency and definitely coming from the tweeter. I took 3 speakers in to get repaired but the problem kept happening and I am very picky.

Well the problem would come back so I decided to take the tweeter apart. You can see what the tweeter looks like here
http://paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParad...ages/7Accs.jpg

When I pulled everything apart, the black triangle piece with the dome on it was making a crackling noise that sounded just like what I heard before. It sticks to wave guide and makes a crackling noise as it sticks and unsticks. I decided to put lube (sylglide I think)on the two pieces (guide an tweeter plate) and the problem has never come back. If you or some else wants to try taking the tweeter apart it is very easy, just 3 torx screws.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Yay - more good information.

So nobody things that it will pass as the speakers properly break it?

GrahamT, very intriguing. I will say that my subjective impression was that it was a tweeter type problem, as opposed to the woofer. It's a thought, although there goes my warrantee if I try it. Hmmm.

EDIT: Ok, which bit is the wave guide?

Thanks,
Martin.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I didn't care about the waranty anymore.
Look at the exploded view here
The wave guide is the part on the outside of the speaker, the big grey thing. The triangle part sticks to the wave guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks