What's new

Paradigm Studio 20 v Studio 40 (1 Viewer)

GaryCo

Agent
I have been lurking and learning for the past few months.
I am looking at one of the two speakers for my main speakers, I listen to HT about 80% and music 20%. I have the Sony WM40 sub and will upgrade next year to SVS sub.
I desperately need new speakers and am at a loss for which to get. I will be trying to find a dealer and listen to in the next few days.
I have settled on Paradigm. I am debating the 20's and a new center speaker v the 40's and getting the center at some other time.
I will eventually get a new receiver or separates to drive the speakers.
thanks

John Cain

Second Unit
If you have a good Subwoofer get the 20's, if not get the 40's..
-- John
------------------

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, I have Studio 20s and love them. That said, you should not be settled on speakers you have not heard. You might hate them. Before you plunk $600 - $800 on main speakers you owe it to yourself to audition every speaker you can in your price range. What sounds good to me might sound terrible to you. Maybe you would like Klipsch better, or perhaps Boston Acoustic or Mirage. Paradigm and Klipsch are very "foward" and "bright" sounding. Not everyone cares for that. Other speakers like Boston Acoustic and B&W are more laid back. So gas up the car, get out and audition everything you can. Good luck,
Regards, Nick

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Do you have surrounds already?
If you don't, or if you have lesser surrounds, get the 20's and move them back to surrounds when you can afford new mains.
I had 2 pair of Mini monitors (front and surround) for the longest time, coupled with the PW2200 and the sound was awesome. When I had the money, I sold one pair of mini's and bought the monitor 7s and used them as mains. The sound is outstanding and better than I expected...until I upgrade to Studio 100's, then I will be in bliss. The 20's should be outstanding for mains as long as you have a decent sub. The sony sub, I have heard good things about.
So if you go for the minis and the CC center you will love the result. Later, when budget allows, buy the 40's and move the 20's the the rears and sit in audio nirvana.
A rule I live by now is, the slower the upgrade the better the upgared will be.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Also, Nick is right. If you have a good dealer, ask to take the 20's home for a night or two (the floor demos are better since they are broken in already) and see if you like the sound. I auditioned the monitor series vs PSB Image series at home before i bought my mini's. Paradigm makes a brite (crisp) speaker. Paradigm are amazing speakers and I know you would be happy with whatever you buy, but do audition. It may make or break your decision.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
There is one problem with the idea of buying 20's now and then moving them to the rear in the future when you get 40's... Paradigm will probably come out with v.3's next year and then you wouldn't have matching drivers if you had S20's v.2 and S40's v.3.
Basically, the Studio 40's will play louder and cleaner (less bass distortion because of the dual 6 1/2" drivers) if you have the power to do so. I found the 40's to be a little more open sounding in the mids, but the high end seemed a little too peaky with the 40's. You'd think the high end would sound the same for the 20's and 40's, but it didn't when I had a pair of both at home (both were v.2's).
The Studio 40's will also work better with a higher current amplifer that can driver lower impedances well, as the impedance is between 4.5 and 5.5 ohms over most of the frequence range. So if you plan to buy a budget receiver, you should stick with the 20's.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I drive Studio40s and a Studio center with an Outlaw 1050 , and it's
working well for me - my rears are no name and I have every intent on
getting another pair of 40's for the rear . After breaking in a bit , they
tend to smooth out . I've noticed the dual rear ports REALLY move a lot of air
and I like that - a very rigid box . They generate more LF than you would expect .
Eric

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have auditioned the 20's and 40's and personally feel there wasn't a comparison and the 40's were considerably better sounding IMHO. If you get the chance sit down and listen to the two with a nice subwoofer or as stated above see if the store will allow an in home demo of the two.
KyleS

GaryCo

Agent
**update**
I had the chance to a/b the reference 20s and 40s
I settled on the 40's, better sounding in my opinion.
If i get the 40s and stands i could get the 60's. I listened to them in another room and they seemed fine. The specs are about the same as the 40's , except the low end of the bass.
I have a sony wm40 sub and want to go to the svs 20-39 sub next year.
I am thinking about staying with the 40's and the svs and forgetting the 60's. Plus i like look for the 40's on the stands
Any comments?
I have some old infinity rs 1000 rear speakers. I will be getying the studio cc after the first of the year.
I mostly listen to HT, but will probably start with cd's again after listening to the speakers
thanks

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I settled on the 40's, better sounding in my opinion.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the 40s are the gems of the Reference line. You chose wisely. A very quick, tight, and accurate little speaker that sounds great on HT and music.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

GregoriusM

Second Unit
My Audio Dealer echos Jay's remarks about the Studio 40's. (I was in listening to a pair of Maggies, and since he knew that I already have Paradigm's all around, and like them, he suggested the 40's would be a good idea for my next upgrade)
He says they are the best of the line in terms of performance/value. (Personally, he likes them better than the 100's when paired with the right subwoofer).
Add the right sub and you're in for a wonderful speaker for years to come.
... Greg
P.S. I deal with an electronics shop that has a vast array of equipment, so A/B'ing is no problem, and I've always found that what they have to say is usually right on the mark.
FYI!
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
For a small to Medium sized room, yes the Studio 40's can't be beat on a value/performance basis.....
He says they are the best of the line in terms of performance/value. (Personally, he likes them better than the 100's when paired with the right subwoofer).
The Studio 100's are by far the best in the line...... Being that you have a large open space, and quality power running them... Minimum 150 to 200 Watts Per Channel.....
Studio 100's are power thirsty, but if you feed them well :) the end result is a soundstage that will BLOW YOU AWAY!!!
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508