Paradigm Studio 100v2 vs. 40v2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Elvick, Jan 7, 2002.

1. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hello All,

I'm contemplating upgrading my Studio 40's to some Studio 100's. I'm using a Parasound 2205a, so power should not be a problem. I also have a SVS 20-39/Samson 700 so Low end is not really the issue. Mainly concerned about music and any edge for HT. What do you think?

Thanks

James

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

James, I would think that if you had an SVS hooked up to your 40's, any upgrade to the 100's wouldn't be worth the money IMO. Most people upgrade from the 40's to the 100's to get the added bass impact, which you wouldn't be getting because you already have the SVS. The mids and hi's of the 40's and 100's aren't that drastic a difference to where I think you will hear an audible difference in sound. I think you would be better off putting that upgrade money into a better source component, or maybe going into DVD-A or SACD. I think you have a great setup for music already (seeing as that I am a fellow owner of the 40's) and think you would be better off going a different avenue here.

3. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I choose to disagree with Evan's thoughts above.

I upgraded from Studio 40's to 100's and power them with a Parasound 2205. I've also got an SVS Ultra sub in my system so my situation is pretty similar to yours, James. First, midrange is not identical from 40's to 100's. The driver configuration on the 100's (3way) yields a more even and rich midrange, IMO. Second, I too bought 100's for improved bass response, but the bass from the 100's is wonderfully extended with the addition of the SVS CS Ultra. If your main focus is music, the 100's are unrivaled in their price range. I say go for it and try to audition a pair at home (bring a friend...they're heavy suckers!)

Just another guy's opinion.