Paradigm Studio 100's w/ Marantz 8200?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Louis-Philippe, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Louis-Philippe

Hello,

Would a Marantz 8200 be enough to drive some Studio 100's to their best? I'm seriously looking at some Studio 60's, but I would like to know what are my amps current limits with the Paradigm studio line.

Thanks for your time.
    lpr

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Louis-Phillipe,

Home Theater Magazine had a review of the 8200 in the Aug. '02 issue. One of the test speaker sets was Paradigm...but it was the Studio 20's, not the towers. Anyway, you might want to look it up.

Anyway, the useful power chart and comments provided by them show the 8200 to be reasonably powerful...5 channels with 8 ohm loads and .1% distortion showed 91.5 watts. 2 channels under the same conditions showed 107 watts. 2 channel at 4 Ohms under those conditions showed 174 watts.
    Very nice...but not exactly ringing with juice...perhaps a better choice for the 60's if you have no future plans for additional external amping for the 8200.

I'm sure others will chime in soon enough but my experience with quality towers is that they are at their best when given lots of power. My advice is to add a 2-3 channel amp for the frontstage if you're going for the 100's or drop to the 60's as is. My $.02

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3803 and 100's on the way. I am not under the illusion that I will get the most out of the 100's, but I do feel I will do them well enough to enjoy them. I do have plans to have a seperate dedicated amp by the end of the year, but I couldn't afford to do it all at once.

4. Louis-Philippe

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go with my first choice (the 60's). I have no plans at the current time for additional amplification.

Also, I have a big decision to make... wood or laminated? [​IMG]

Take care,
    lpr

5. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

HI,
    If you can afford either one , get the 100's, I have owned both and the 100's are significantly better. The marantz will have plenty power for the 100's. The 100 sound their best with 120 watts plus, but the marantz and the 100's will still be better than the 60's and the marantz.

Jeff

6. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

i have audition paradigm studio 80 with rotel rsx 1065
    one word ....superb.

7. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I said:

8. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

I purchased 8200 and studio 100's in Jan. Couldn't be happier.. No problem driving the speakers even at levels I would not normally listen at. Most of my time is with CD's but movies are equally incredible. Buy and enjoy..

9. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

One more thing. I saw that Marantz has announced in Europe an upgrade to the 8200, you can see it if you look at European web site. One of the things it fixes is the 2 sec delay when switcing tracks.. Auppose to be coming to states soon. Make sure you get that