Paradigm Studio 100's or 60's with a sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chrisden, Oct 31, 2002.

1. chrisden

chrisden Agent

I currently have Studio 60's being run by a Marantz SR-8200 receiver.

Question:

Better to upgrade Studio 100's

or

Get a PS-1000/1200 and keep the 60's

Sonically, should the above combinations be about the same? Obviously, the sub would have lower response than the 100's by themselves. Can anyone with a PS series sub and studios tell me how well the sub integrates with the speakers.

Thanks.

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I have studio 100s that I use with a svs sub and although the 100s sound good alone they sound much better with the svs. My suggestion would be to keep the 60s they sound great too and get a good sub[​IMG]
    Bob

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I concur with Bob's advise. As a fellow Studio 100 owner, with an Earthquake sub, they do sound much better. Keep the 60's and buy the sub!!!

I think this will give you a better balance then the 100's alone. Later on if you want to upgrade to the 100's, go for it. However, I'd try to demo them first in your home before making the purchase.

Charles

4. Salvatore Restivo

I'd stay with the 60s, as well. You'll experience most of the potential of the 60s using your Marantz receiver. But the 100s only get into their groove with stronger, separate amplification. I was in the same situation. I stuck with my 60s and added a Servo-15 sub. I didn't like the PS-series subs nearly as much as the Servo-15, or even the PDR-series. My advice is to get 100s only if you've got the budget for a nice 200wpc, or better, Parasound, B&K, or Rotel amp to drive them. Good luck with the results, whatever you choose.

5. chrisden

chrisden Agent

What are you guys suggestions on a good sub that integrates well with the studios and won't break the bank. I want extension to 25 hz, maybe a little lower, with good musical quality. Can't afford the the servo-15.

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Chris, I hear you on the budget thing.

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Chris.. All of the people on here rave about the SVS subs at all levels from performance/cost/customer service. Can you do that in your budget??

8. chrisden

chrisden Agent

I will check them out. Thanks to all for your responses.

9. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Chrisden, I use my 100s with an svs 20-39plus sub and I also use a parasound 2205 amp as well. adding the svs is night and day even though the studios sound great alone the svs really adds a nice even smoothness to my room no boominess here my friend and with movies well, you will not be disappointed[​IMG]
    Bob

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Actually, although we do hear a lot about SVS subs, a close look on HTF, AVS, etc. will show that people's subwoofer interest spans to include HSU, SVS, Velo, Earthquake, Paradigm, and a great many others.
    What one should also be keenly aware of, though, are posts and replies that are negative in origin and learn any potential shortcomings. I guess what I am trying to say is 'do your research'. [​IMG]