What's new

Paradigm Studio 100's Mid Range Question??? (1 Viewer)

RM Haney

Grip
Demo'd the Paradigm Studio 100's last week and loved the sound. The only problem I noticed was that the speakers seemed to be lacking a little in the mid-range. Bass was great and highs sounded awesome but the mids seemed to be lacking. Does anybody else share this opinion? We made a mistake in the demo room by listening to the McIntosh speakers (LS-360) before the Paradigms. At 3.5 times the cost, they had better sound better. I was just wondering if my ears were worn out by the time we listened to the Studio 100's. These were the V.2 Paradigms. They did not have the V.3's available for demo yet. All listening was done using McIntosh electronics.

Mike

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You should ask how long the Paradigm demo speakers have been played. The Studio series needs a long break in period (minimum 50 hours, 100+ and they will keep getting better). Being a V.2, I would imangine that they have been around awhile, so this may not be the case. The 100s just may not be for you.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You might really like the v.3's then because they have a little less low end and therefore the mid's might stand out more to you. Personally, I really liked the 2's over the 3's since they have better low end and seemed less bright to me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Odd, I felt the v2s were brighter to my ear, and I did not like the dished, almost muffled midrange that was characteristic of the Studio line. I believe it is a function of the x-over, and it has been improved, though not removed, in the v3s. Give the Signatures a listen :D Yes, they are 2x the price, but I was very impressed with them.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I used to own 100v2's and thought they sounded great until I heard more expensive speakers. After hearing about 30 different speaker brands I think 100's have a muffled midrange and edgy highs.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
For what it's worth, my dealer said that he finds the v3's to be just a little brighter (holding two fingers about an inch apart when saying it). He said he's impressed with the v3 overall, though. Scott N makes a very good point: I need to stop listening to better speakers. If it wheren't for such temptations, I'd probably still be happy with the Monitor line! Must.... resist....... listeing to Signatures.......

Chris

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I actually was happy listening to more expensive speakers after I got the 100's V2. For about 2 or 3 grand more, you can find many speakers that sound better...but..for 2 or 3 grand more, I don't think difference is worth all the extra money. Still, if I had 10 grand to spend, you're damn right I'd do it! ha ha!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I agree, but it also depends on your listening habits. It's also exactly what chris said - you will notice it more once you have heard something you consider to be better.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
True, plus, when you get the upgraded speakers into your house and give them 50 hours, you'll most likely notice a much greater difference at that point. Or, just convince yourself of it because of all that money you just spent : )

Scott_N

Second Unit
Triangle, Totem, Dali, Opera, Von Schweikert, JMLab, Amphion, and Soliloquy all make speakers in the 100's price range that are much more musical IMO.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
How the v.2s sound depends on what you are feeding them. I picked up my studio/100 v.2's this past June. I initially had them running off of a Parasound HCA-855. It's a very nice 5-channel amp, but in order to really start hearing what these speakers are capable of, you need more than 85 wpc. When I replaced the Parasound with some Outlaw M200 monoblocks, the difference was very noticeable. The monitor series from Paradigm (I've had the mini's, 5's, and 11's) is a little less dependent on clean power, but the studios kinda "need" it. Good luck with your decision.

Mark Bee

Grip
Auditioned the P100 V3's today. I would agree they are brighter compared to the B&W equivalent. I liked the 100's sound better. But, then again, 20 yrs ago I really liked Klipsch due to the highs. Also, if you get in my Yukon, you will find the treble and bass buried to the "right."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks