Paradigm Studio 100's for new home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_BTV, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Dave_BTV

Dave_BTV Auditioning

Lurker for some time now, and I really have enjoyed all the posts I could possibly read, but I've just built a house so the apartment speakers have to give way so something better.

I (read wife) would like to keep my living room/main entertainment (13'x19') room simple and dont think I could pull off the 5.1 the way I would want it without having the room feel dominated by speakers the way some of our friends rooms are. But I do have a nice 3'x9' niche in that room (making the whole area ~22'x13'x9'high) that could fit some good floor standing speakers and the tv.

Is this room too small to do the Reference Studio 100's justice? I live right across the border and could get these at funny money prices. I also thought I could get away with 40's and a nice sub with my 60%/40% music/HT ratio. I would be sitting ~9' from the front of the 100's.

I also thought that this would be a great start to the full package when I finish a dedicated HT in the basement. Thoughts or improvements on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

3x9' man! did your wife puttin you in a closet or something?[​IMG] Well that's kinda small the 100s will sound better with more room around them but the bass would be nice in that small room[​IMG] that's a tough one these speakers will sound great anywhere but they will sound better in an open area, I suggest you try it cause that's the only way you'll know.
    good luck Bob

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

3' x 9' room! I'd suggest maybe the Altec computer speakers for a room that size. Just kidding.

I assume you meant 13' x 19' and since you stated most likely you will end up transferring everything into a bassment theater then I would suggest that buy whatever keeps peace in your household as what may sound good in one room might not in another. The Paradigm 100s sound good in large rooms from what I heard of them (usually dealer demo, and in a much larger room I may add 20' by 25' approximately) but I've never heard them in anything this small.

4. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

If it really is a 3'x9' room, I would buy a computer system speaker setup. I have my Klipsch Promedia 4.1 in my den, ~10'11' and it really fills out the room. And it can be had for about 250 dollars. If you are stuck with a small room for now I would not waste money on big speakers that aren't going to be used to their full potential until later. Save the full size speakers for when your basement is ready for a full size theater. That was not meant as a knock, just there is no tactful way of saying it. I really do believe in my Klipsch Promedia, it is phenomenal value for a great sounding speaker system. If you don't want 4.1 they also have 5.1 for more money and 2.0 for less money.

5. Dave_BTV

Dave_BTV Auditioning

WHOA!!!!
    The 3'x9' niche is open at the end of a 13'x19' room! I'm not that crazy...good thing my wife didnt see this and think you could fit me in a room that small.
    Clarification: So the total room I'm talking about is 22x13x9.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Well, that 3' x 9' could be used for the equipment or an IB sub and if she's concerned about a set of speakers dominating an entire room see if you can get a set of speakers in white (Atlantic Tech, M&K, Nht, Deftech, and Bostons I think make them in white that is assuming your walls are white) then you can setup a 5.1 system now in this room for now as a sub/sat and then you can pick-up a set of towers for when you complete your basement (or you can leave the setup upstairs and buy a whole new set for the basement). I wouldn't consider inwalls unless you know the layout of the framing or have access to blueprints of your home and make it a final install for your current living room.

7. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

In that case you should be fine, your room size is fine for Studio 100's.

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

My room is 11x17x9 and I've owned the Paradigm Ref. 100's and the PSB Goldi's. Although I thought they sounded wonderful in my room, I never knew how bad they sounded until I heard a pair of Kef 201's and ultimately a pair of GR Research AV1+ bookshelves in my room that wound up staying as well. I credited my dissatisfaction with my floorstanding speakers to limited room space which hindered proper placement. Once again, I never really knew what I was missing until I heard a pair of extremely high quality bookshelves and now enjoy similar quality sound, (especially in the mid and high ranges)detail and clarity with my current GR Research AV1+ speakers. It's like my system is breathing with no signs of congestion.
    Myabe you'll have better luck with the 3x9 space then I did with my 11x17x9 room but I doubt it.

** For the record I like and second Robert Gathers advice.