Paradigm Studio 100 - Wood or Laminate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Hi, this isn't really a technical question but more cosmetic.

Just wanted to know how many Studio 100 owners have the Laminate version or the wood version. The wood version looks a lot nicer, but I don't know if it looks $500 nicer. And the wood doesn't completly encase the speaker, which would have been better if they did especially for the extra money.

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Ken, I bought the black laminate mainly because it matches my mits hdtv and a/v rack. The real wood is attractive I suppose if my room and other stuff was real wood I might have gotten the wood, they are pricey but nice. If they look good in your room and you like them then go for it!

Bob

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Ken,

I own the 100's and have it in the laminate version. Cost was the factor in my situation and as you describe, increases end cost by $4-500. That money is being allocated to a new sub and an amp.

There are a couple points of view on this subject. Some think that speakers should be treated as furniture pieces and I agree with that idea.

Also, some think that the this finish adds more strength and support to the speaker. If I recall, adding the wood veneer increases the width of the speaker by 1"-1 1/2."

I also took into consideration that I see myself upgrading in the next few years, so these are not going to be with me forever.

The wood looks great.

My .02 ....

Charles