Paradigm Studio 100 users - what sub you use

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Lan, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

I have just gotten the Paradigm Reference Studio 100's up and running and now want to expand to HT. Plan on using Paradigm equipment for center and surrounds but wondering about subs. Paradigm has PW-2200 and the Servo-15 but have also read good things about SVS and HSU.. For you who have Studio 100's what subs are you using and if you could do it over would you switch to something else? Tanks for the help..

2. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

I too would like to know. I don't have the 100's, but I have the PSB Stratus Gold i's. The problem here is that both of these speakers are essentially flat to about 30Hz, so it's going to take a pretty good sub to make a difference, yes?

Also, when using large speakers such as these what would be the recommended crossover and would you run these full range in conjunction with the sub or cut the lower freq.? Once again, what crossover point should one use?

Hard questions here, you never see much conversation about using subs with systems whose main speakers are pretty much full range.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have a small 8" Energy sub left over from the first HT which I'm using in my condo. No way could it produce the volumes of the 100's (and no need in an condo), but it does go a bit lower, which is noticeable with some music.

Martin.

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I use an svs 20-39+ with my studio 100s set to large with the plus setting on my pioneer 49tx.

I have experimented a couple of different ways and the large plus setting seems to have more of an impact with explosions ect.... in your face more. Its a great combo[​IMG]

Bob

5. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Jim

I have had the Studio 100's for the last couple of years and a few months ago decided it was time to add a sub. The first thing you need to look at is what are you going to use your system for ? Home theater, music or a combination of both. If a combination, what percentage ? How big is your room and at what levels do you listen at ?

I use my system for about 75% music and I decided to go with a sealed subwoofer. After looking at a lot of options, I talked to Kyle Richardson a www.acoustic-visions.com about a DIY sub. You can get a tremendous amount of performance from a DIY sub.

Talk to Kyle and he can tell you what will work best for your budget and needs. I decided to go with a new driver from Adire Audio called the Tumult and am now just waiting for the driver to arrive so that I can install it in my enclosure.

6. Daniel Levin

Daniel Levin Extra

I use the Servo-15. It is an ideal combination with the 100s. For music, I cross the 100s over at 50Hz. The transition to the sub is seamless. The Servo is very fast and musical. I use the THX 80Hz crossover for HT. The Servo will shake the house if I let it. Being Servo driven, there is no distortion at any volume.