paradigm studio 100 component help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dmensi, Sep 11, 2006.

1. dmensi

dmensi Auditioning

I have just purchased Paradigm Studio 100's along with Paradigm CC center channel and paradigm inwall rears. As of right now I will be using a Yamaha HTR5990 as the A/V receiver 140 watts/channel. Usage will be around 50% music and 50% home theater. The room is large 16' X 21' with large coffered ceilings several openings and stairwell along with a tiled floor.

Have not taken delivery of the speakers yet, but what I have been reading seems like the Yamaha may not be powerful enough to drive the Studio 100's especially in a large room.

I am looking for suggestions for separate components, especially along the Rotel line since I am familiar with them. What combinations of receiver/power amplifier/preamplifier surround sound processor will work well with these speakers?

thanks

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

The Yamaha HTR5990 will not have enough power to drive the Studio 100's (great choice on speakers btw).

I would audition the RSP-1068 processor ($1,699) with RMB-1075 poweramp ($1,199). This is a seriously capable system (and one that would make me jealous!).

http://www.rotel.com/reviews/pdfs/ho...0Supertest.pdf

3. Alex/d

Alex/d Stunt Coordinator

I agree with him. That 5990 will just underdrive those beauties. ( I know because I had a 5700... ashamed I am. )
    Outlaw Audio has had good reviews from other members on here for whatever they sell...
    But, personally, I would get an Rotel Pre-Amp (I've had experience with one for 24 hours...I just wish I could have kept it [​IMG] )

As for an amplifier, the only one I've been able to fiddle with is my buddies Carver... so, don't know what to tell you there.

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

You WILL be able to drive the 100's, but you are not gonna get what you can get out of them with an amp.
    If you are happy with the processing part of the Yam., why not try just adding an amp first, if it has pre-outs?
    See how that sounds, then eventually up-grade to a pre-pro.
    The Outlaw is a fine choice.
    So is the Rotel, maybe the 1095.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. MichaelTa

MichaelTa Agent

I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 and 18 months ago I upgraded my mains to some Paradigm Monitor 9 v.4's. I was given a deal on these speakers I could not say no to and no regrets as they play the music I listen to very well. I knew at the time that these speakers needed lots of clean power to drive them and I always felt they were strained at higher volume and so back in July of this year I picked up a NAD C 272 amp. It was a night and day difference. These speakers are now being pushed and the sound coming out of them is fuller and has more punch. Thing is using the RX-V1300 as a pre/pro I am still able to watch movies and listen to SACD and DVD-A with the center and rears sounding better because the amp on the Yamaha has more power for those speakers from not having to drive the mains. I spend 90 per cent of my time listening to two channel music and yes I know there are pieces that cost way more then my C 272 but I am happy and that is all that counts at this time. Well back to the Dead Head old folks home and 30+ years of shows to listen to.

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I second that, buy an amp maybe just a two channel and let the yamy handle the rest, somewhere that will allow you to return it if you don't like it, or doesn't change much. Keep the Yamy for decoding, untill another upgrade. Say when HDMI 1.3 comes out and gets a little cheaper, then buy a processor and a 5 channel amp to handle the rest of the channels, essiantially making a 7.1 system. Or you could buy a 5 or 7 channel now. But I wouldn't buy a processor just yet, save your money for a future investment.