What's new

Paradigm speakers (1 Viewer)

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I am starting to put together my first real Home Theater. I think I am going to go with Paradigm Monitor 3 for the front and cc370 for the center. As for the rear I am going to need to mount those speakers. I like the titans but they seem awfully large to mound to the walls and I don't get the impression that Paradigm recommends that. Are the Atoms small enough to mount. I guess I would be looking for something with a Timbre Match. Any suggestions? Also I am looking for a receiver to run these. I am leaning toward the HK 325. About $600 is my limit on the receiver. Thanks,

Greg

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
The Titans are not too large to mount, though you'll need to find mounting gear elsewhere if you want decent flexibility. My sister has the Focus speakers mounted for her surrounds and they should be a bit bigger than the Titans. The Atoms are quite a bit smaller and I used to have those as my rears. I can't comment on tibre matching, you'd have to ask your Paradigm dealer.

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
I have your same exact setup up front and I went with a pair of ADP-170's for my surrounds and also added a CC-170 for my Center rear. I use a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX to power my system and can't be happier. I had a Denon AVR-3802 and also a Onkyo TX-797 before the Pioneer and the Pioneer beats both hands down.

You can get the Pioneer on Ebay or Audiogon.com for about $600 and well worth that and some!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Steve

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
The monitor 5's for your fronts/mains and either mini's for the surrounds or ADP 170's if you've got the loot and a decent space for the bipoles. They are a little heavy but still very mountable (get your heads out of the gutter!). Depending on the size/distance, the cc-170 should be plenty for a center or even a 270 if your dying for a lot in the middle. The Paradigms really deliver if you're not real familliar with them and for the money you save on the smaller center, you can afford to stay in the Studio series. Also, you didn't mention a sub. Look at this whole purchase as a long term investment and don't skimp just to fill a void. Go ahead and laugh but we all do it. It would help if you posted your budget and also, how much music will you be listening to out of these? Anyway, you are deffinitely heading in the right direction with the Paradigms. As far as a receiver is concerned, I have been shopping $500 to $700 receivers for over 2 months now and I still can't make a decision. Just try and find something with an accurate power rating, all of the features you NEED (appropriate formats, power to push your speaks and upgradability options like preouts for an amp and whatever) and at least a few of the ones you want (the remote is pretty important to me). Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I personally do not like the Monitor 3's. The 8" woofer is too big to provide smooth midrange, and is a little boomy with bass. The Mini Monitors are much smoother and are more accurate, but does not go quite as low. But since it looks like you are not going to be using a sub, you might look at the Monitor 5's. The 5's has the same 6 1/2 driver (but 2 of them), that retains the characteristics of the Mini, but has the lower response that you might want. Also, with Monitors up front, definatly get the CC-370 that is timbre matched. I almost got the 170, but am glad I didn't. The 370 blends perfectly, and handles everything with ease.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I will add a sub but I am not sure what kind yet. I did not hear the Monitor 3's. I listened to the mini's and they were awesome. My local dealer is about $80 higher than the one 60 miles away. I may check and see if he will price match. I thought the m3's would be a better value because they were only $70 more. But with a sub maybe I am better off with the mini's. any suggestions on the sub.

Greg

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator
Stay with Monitor 3's, Much better then the Mini's and they are worth the extra $70. I have listened to both also and the Mini's are good but the 3's are that much better.

For a sub check out SVS or stay with Paradigm PW-2200 both will rock your house.

Make sure you go with the CC-370 for the Center though and not the 170. I had both in the center for comparison with my Monitor 3's and the CC-370 outshined the cC-170 by miles!! Thats why I moved the CC-170 to my center rear. Its a much better timbre match with the ADP-170's then it is with the Monitor 3's!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks