Paradigm Speakers With Kenwood HTB-504?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to get into the world of home theater, but I am definitely on a tight budget. I will most likely purchase a Toshiba HD ready RPTV and a Panasonic RP56 progressive scan DVD player to get me started.
    For now, I will probably go with a "home theater in a box" solution such as the Kenwood HTB-504 about which I have read many positive reviews.
    Currently, I have a pair of Paradigm Mini-Mk3 speakers which I use with an entry level Onkyo receiver/amp for listening to music CDs (I think Paradigm has replaced the Mk3 with the Mini-Monitor).
    Would my Paradigm speakers sound good with the Kenwood HTB system? I would probably use the Mk3s up front and move the Kenwood front speakers to the back. I know this is not ideal, but for now, it's all I can afford (at least I already own a pair of quality speakers).
    Thanks,
    Brent

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

You can do it but your immediate concern will be the center. For music it will sound fine but for HT it will sound like something is off. Perhaps running it in phantom mode would help correct that problem.

3. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I started similarly to this. Had a pair of Polk towers that I really liked but was on a budget to get into HT. I bought the HTB 503 (the 504 replaced this). I kept the polks for mains and used one of the Kenwood mains for the center channel. Things sounded pretty good I though - especailly since I was going from VCR and two speakers to DVD and 5 plus a sub! However, as noted above I quickly grew tired of the mixed front stage and sprung for a Polk center. This was a couple months later though, my wife had a chance to see this was pretty cool and it was only one piece so that made it more palatable. I replaced the little kenwood surrounds with the mains. Now I've also replaced the sub with an SVS (WOW what a difference) and am getting a new DVD player shortly. Next up will be the surrounds. Lastly the receiver will go eventually.
    I think the HTB is the best way to go because it makes upgrading so damn easy - yet you get to have 5.1 the whole time too! Good luck!

4. Brent_N

Ok, so should I be considering puchasing components seperately?
    How about adding center, rear, and sub Paradigm Cinema or Performance series speakers to go with my Mk3s? Then I would have to purchase a separate, entry level receiver.
    How much more expensive would it be to go this route?
    (I would guess it would be more than I can currently spend. I just hate getting a HTB solution and not be able to use my nice Paradigms).

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Brent,
    Contact Paradigm and see how much it would be for the matching center. You should be able to get that and the Kenwood HTB. Your front three speakers would be the Paradigms and the rears and sub would be the Kenwood until you can afford to upgrade further. Keep in mind you could easily go with the receiver in Phantom mode and get a new center and mains or a speaker package later on when you have more money to work with.

6. Brent_N

Please excuse my ignorance...
    What exactly is "phantom" mode? Does this mean that the center channel output actually runs through the front speakers in addition to the center channel. How much would this alter the surround sound affect? Am I better off running in phantom mode to take advantage of my Paradigms or would I be better off sticking with the Kenwood speakers for the more balanced, albeit less quality sound?
    Thanks again,
    Brent