What's new

Paradigm Speakers questions (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am looking at changing my current Infinity Interlude speakers (IL-60, 36, & 10's) out for Paradigms and I am just not sure which would be the best way to go. My preferences are 90% for Movies and 10% CD.
I have been looking at the studio 100's, studio CC, and ? on the best match for surrounds. Then for the sub I would go with an SVS. My main worry is that the 100's push too much bass themselves and not blend well with the
SVS sub(s)? Should I go with a smaller studio series?
I have been happy with my Infinity speakers but everyone always talks about Infinity being overpriced and I am just thinking that maybe I could get some better sound for around the same price after selling my old speakers.
KyleS

John Cain

Second Unit
Take a good hard look at the Active 20's and the Active 40's.
They are amazing speakers, and you cannot make a better match for a speaker, amplifier wise, than one designed for that particular speaker.
They have a response fron about 35-22K +- 1db, and sound amazing.
Check them out,
-- John
------------------

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Kyle,
With the Studio 100's set to small, the SVS subs will run just fine in conjunction with those speakers....
The real question is.... What will power those behemoth tower speakers?? Beefy amp, or receiver??
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Kyle if you are 90 percent home theater you should seriously look at Definitive Technology at www.definitivetech.com
You should be able to get some money off list.
Bipolar is really fantastic for movies...and if you set them up well you should love them with music too. Good luck!

Don O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Though it is true that the port on the Studio 100s is tuned to 20hz, the ability for the main speakers to extend into the lower octave can only be an advantage for smooth integration of quality subwoofers with bass management in the processors or quality external crossovers.
Steves question is important. The 100s need power to sing. With the right amps they will significantly out perform the powered speakers. They require quality high-current amplification-minimum Rotel 200wpc or equivalent. The Bryston 7bs I have on my 100s make them sing.
------------------
[Edited last by Don O'Brien on August 17, 2001 at 09:35 PM]

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well I was thinking about getting a Parasound amp and just running my Integra DTR-7 as a Pre/Pro. I am just not sure that the studio 100's are the best bang for the buck and they are not easy to find to audition. I have heard plenty of Rave reviews about these speakers and they are well regarded (and although big even my wife thinks they look sharp) so the SAF isnt hurting which is a really good thing. The Active 40's are a little much considering the overall price with the amps unless they can be had for well under the MSRP.
I know that everyone talks about how much less these speakers are across the border up north. My brother lives in Seattle and I do visit him, so would it be worth my time to find a dealer in Canada? Or just look for someone local to me? (dont know if I really would save that much or not).
Would it be better to say look at the Studio 40's with them set to large and the SVS? Which would save some money but would it sound as good? Man decisions, decisions :)
KyleS

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I have Paradigm 40s for my front & rears, and really love them
biggrin.gif
I feel that matching rears creates the seamless panning, and adds a lot to the HT experience.
I set all speakers to small & let my sub (SCS20-39PC) handle the low end.
Try to listen to the 100s & 40s (with Servo15) to try and see your preference with HT material.
I'm happy with my set-up & reccommend you at least consider the 40s as an alternative. The 100s are a great set of speakers, especially for music.
Happy listening!
Mass

KyleS

Screenwriter
Does Anyone know the average price paid under MSRP or at least what to expect I will find at local retailers? And then how much could I save by driving a couple of hours more when visiting my brother in Canada? (Is it really that big of difference over what we can get them for here in the states?
KyleS

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
If you can get 10% off, your doing well. The savings driving to Canada is fairly substancial. You'll pay about the same $ figure but in Cdn dollars. If your buying the full set, it'll definitely be worth the 2h drive.
For example,1prs of the 40 would run you $1000-1300/pr Cdn (depending on finish). This works out to ~667-867USD, using a very conservative 1.5 US-CDN.
Try searching this board for fellow members Cdn Paradigm trips.
Mass

Steve_D

Second Unit
1) Many audiophiles prefer stand mounted speakers to floorstanders. Floorstanders make more sonic compromises than good stand mounted. (250 HZ push, cabinet resonances)
2) Most comparisons have the 40's coming out ahead of the 100's due to 1 above.
3) My 40's have a -3db in-room response to 30 HZ. However, they are basically gone by then when used as small with a 80 HZ crossover. Therefore, any extra repsonse down there would be of no benefit.
4) The Active 40's are considered by many the best speakers in the Paradigm line.
5) The 100's do require high wattage high current amps to really sing. I have 225 watt, 75 amp dual mono-blocs on my passive 40's, and they sound great alone, awesome when paired with an SVS 16-46 and ART.
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Steve_D on August 18, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well then does anyone know a good dealer in Canada just north of Washington State that I could call to find out prices? Also I have seen the prices on Paradigms website but only for the set with either the pw2200 sub or Servo 15 but is their a list somewhere I am not seeing that would list them individually? Just trying to figure out what MSRP is on all of the different speaker combinations. :)
I think that I am leaning towards the 40's with Studio CC and the ADP surrounds. I would love to go with the Actives but I think they are a little out of my price range at the moment. Thanks for the ideas and help keep them a comming.
KyleS

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Steves question is important. The 100s need power to sing. With the right amps they will significantly out perform the powered speakers. They require quality high-current amplification-minimum Rotel 200wpc or equivalent. The Bryston 7bs I have on my 100s make them sing.
I agree. The 100's do need a lot of power to push them to there potential.
The Denon 5800 alone could not do this, However the 5800 was a good match for the 60's.
Adding a 5 x 220 watt (60 amperes/channel) Parasound block and bi-amping the 100's with 4 of those channels has brought my 100's to a new level of sound quality that is unreal. :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Again for you Canadians, do any of you know a good HT store to get Paradigm speakers at just across the border above Washington?
KyleS

Tino D'Voe

Agent
The following two stores in Vancouver I know for sure carry the Paradigm speakers:
The Sound Room: 604-736-7771
North Shore Audio Video: 604-980-2071
I'm not sure if any of these other stores carry them but you can check if they do:
Commercial Electronics: 604-669-6535
Accurate Sound Video 604-301-9007
Speaker City: 604-736-2077
Sound Plus: 604-873-4571
Signature Audio: 604-873-6682

KyleS

Screenwriter
Tino thank you so much for the names of those stores and more specifically for the area code up there. Now with the area code I can look up Paradigm's authorized dealers in Vancouver.
KyleS

muskie

Agent
Audio Video Unlimited with several locations in Greater Vancouver also carries Paradigm speakers. They have a website as does the Sound Room but neither offers much information and nothing on pricing which I think Paradigm forbids.
I've been in both stores several times, Sound Room is a bit more upscale and is in Kits. Audio Video Unlimited also deals in car audio and is a bit more mass market. You should call a head to make sure they have the speakers you want (to demo/buy) instock.
For the record I bought Paradigm surround and a center channel off of the Sound Room, but I did have to wait a while for the center channel to come in stock.
Muskie
------------------

Purnam

Auditioning
I have the paradigm 100's with an SVS cs20-39 subwoofer. Excellent sound. Powered the 100's and the SVS with an Acurus 200x3 AMP.
Simply beautiful. I haven't decided which I like better (100's set to small or large --- large might be a tad too much bass, but it works very nicely together).
Get a good AMP for the 100's. I had a Denon 3801 powering the 100's before (still sounded pretty good), but with the Acurus, it is simply fantastic. Then add the SVS sub and I'm simply in Audio heaven.
Personally, I wouldn't go for anything less than the 100's. You will never regret it.
Hope this helps. Purnam

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I agree- lots of power! Started with 100 wpc, and wondered why everyone raved about them. I added the rotel 200x5, and that really opened them up! Bi-wired them, too. (Never did any comparisons, bi-wired when I added the rotel. But it sounded great, so I just left it that way!)
dk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks