Paradigm Speakers for Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mukund_Wankhede, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Mukund_Wankhede

Mukund_Wankhede Auditioning

I am putting together a home theatre system. I have the following components

TV Sony KP57WS500
    Receiver Onkyo TX-SR800
    DVD player - undecided

I went and listened to several speakers and short listed the following Paradigm speakers (system 8 on paradigm's website)

Monitor 11's for front
    CC370 for Center
    4 ADP-370's for sorround
    PW2200 for subwoofer

My room is 16x20 with 20' ceiling.

I was looking for some feedback on the speakers or if anybody has similar system and had comments to share

Thanks for your help

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I would skip the monitor line and get the reference line, cuz you know you will get the upgrade bug after you hear how good the monitor series sounds and wanna buy the studios

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm with Ken. Monitor line rocks totally, but those 11s are QUITe far up the line, and you get into into the studio line starting at like 650 for the smallest studio 20. Nice improvement, and worth it as long as you're getting a sub. I don't want to belittle the monitor line, for floorstanders that big, it's hard to beat if you don't include the studio series. I have mini-monitors, and I can't rave about them enough, but when I upgrade, I'm moving up a series, because otherwise, its just sorta "more of the same." Same drivers, just more of them, or bass drivers added, and larger enclosures. Granted, there is improvement up the line, but they aren't really whole different speakers. And for competition, also check out the B&W CDM series. More $$, but about the same if you get the smallest one. More detailed, but lacking in bass. Still worth a listen, always good to compare the 'digms to something, although would be much better for music, but the lack of bass, and they may get left behind in terms of all-around performance. There it becomes taste and preference and. Good luck. [​IMG]

That's quite a high ceiling. [​IMG]

4. Tim Reed

Tim Reed Extra

I would forget the Paradigms. For starters, you would be far better off building 5 EFE ARDIY.com (send an email to Ed Frias at EFESPKRS@aol.com or go to audioreview.com and look in the learn section regarding DIY speakers) speakers and adding an Adire Rava subwoofer. Total cost would be about 440 for the Rava (delivered) + 800 for the 5 DIYs - - so about $1200.

Why do I say this - -because I own the Paradigm studio 100 v2's and have also built a pair of EFE DIYs and added the Adire Rava subwoofer (a 750$ combo). The EFE/Rava combination is better than the studio 100's and costs about 1000$ less! (I just wish I knew this 2 years ago).

Don't get me wrong, the studio 100's are good speakers (and I still like them). But Ed Frias's designs are outstanding. Just as an example, last night I was listening to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy CD- - the EFEs/Rava kept everything seperate and perfectly focused. All the details could be easily made out. Imaging was superb. Tone was great. Everything was there - - every nuance. I've heard that CD countless times on the 100's and it tends to confuse things when the music gets congested and complex. Still sounds great - - until you listen to it on the EFE/Rava.

I doubt you can do better for the dollar.

By the way - - in a couple of weeks I will be able to tell you whether the EFE T-22s (Ed builds these) are worth it - - I've heard they are outragious.

Also - - I own the Onkyo 800 and it is an outstanding receiver. Great choice.

5. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I might have to agree with people above. I have Monitor 7s and like them so far. But I was sorely tempted to go to Studio 40s with a Studio center (since I din't NEED the extra bass of the 7s with the sub. The 40s were certainly more detailed and for sure a "Better" to me speaker. Two things kept me from switching Price and my amp which is only 80 wpc. I did not think it would drive the 40s well enough for me.

I think you might be happier with a studio 60 which should be close to the same price as a Monitor 100. Those 100s are BIG (at least to me) with lots of drivers.

You may even want to think about 40s and with the price difference get an external AMP to help you deal with those 20 foot celing s (wow).

Personally I think the value for dollar is excellent on the Monitor line. But if my budget would have allowed I would rather get the MIddle of the STudio line rather than the top of the Monitor line.

6. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

really early on in my audio start, I heard the monitor 5s vs studio40s, and I can't even consider monitors anymore. the studios had so much more impact and clarity that I knew I'd be missing out on so much by not going that route.

the price tag is a little harder to deal with though.

I've been looking at options from energy too lately. Not sure they quite compare to studios though