What's new

Paradigm Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

Dean Thomas

Auditioning
I am looking to purchase a new Paradigm front and center channel speaker system. The fronts would be a pair of the Atom V2's and the center channel speaker would be the cc170.
I currently have an older Advent system (pretty darn good sound, Futura fronts and Shale center) and am looking to upgrade. Is this a significant upgrade or just a small step in the right direction?

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
i really like the paradigm speakers....u might think about going titans for the fronts. But other than that i have nothing bad to say about them other than they are good.

Dean Thomas

Auditioning
I know you are supposed to use dipole speakers for the surround speakers, but I wonder if the Atoms would work just as well. It seems crazy to spend that much money on a speaker (referring to the Paradigm ?) whose range is used so little.

Has anyone done this? Is there a really good reason not too?

Dean Thomas

Auditioning
Whoops...I was referring to the ADP70's for the rear. So if I were to use the Titan's in the front and the Atoms in the back, what would I sacrifice?

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
i just heard the titans today powered by a denon 3802. they were awesome and to my ears, indistinguishable from the mini monitors. titans seem easier to mount on a wall as well. they beat the mirage fxs's I compared them to. you need the dipoles

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I was gonna buy the same thing, but after asking here people told me that there is no point in using Atoms in the rears if the fronts are Titans. So I bought 4 Titans + a CC170... And I'm very pleased with the sound!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I feel Titans are the way to go also, especially since I got them for the price or Atoms. Everyone says the Atoms sound "tighter" than the Titan, but that is because they basically do not produce decent bass. The good thing about either the Titan or Atom is that one does not need really high end gear or a lot of power for them to do very well.

I have Minis as mains, and Titans as rears, and the difference is not so easy to tell immediately, but when it comes to music, the Minis are better without question.

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, you should see if your dealer has a return policy so you can listen to them in your own room with your own equipment. This way you're risk free in determining the upgrade-worthiness of them.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4 Atoms and a CC170 with a PDR10 sub. If I were you, I wouldn't mix Titans and Atoms. Either get 4 Titans or 4 Atoms....whichever sound best to you.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I love my Atoms, they rock, but I haven't heard titans so no comment on a compare. I'm sure you would be happy with either.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's no good reason not to mix Titans and Atoms, they are very similar in sound. However I agree that there is little point in having both and 4 of each would be best.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy with my 4 Titans paired with a CC170 and a PDR-10. I think you should def. go with the Titans over the Atoms, considering you want the more powerful CC170 (as opposed to the 70). The price dif. is also minimal, why not step up?

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I know you are supposed to use dipole speakers for the surround speakers
Depends what you're listening to. If it's just for movies you might want to consider the dipoles. However if you listen to any all-channel music then I'd stay away from dipoles. It's actually a personal choice, no real right or wrong, you just have to see what you like.
And yes, Paradigm makes some great speakers. :)
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks