What's new

Paradigm speaker question (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I am planning to upgrade my HT receiver as I discuss in this thread. (Bottom line--maybe Onkyo TX-NR717 or Denon 2x13ci.) My current receiver is 11-12 years old, as are my speakers. My TV and blu-ray player were purchased in Dec 2011. All my speakers are Paradigm--front and rear Mini Monitors, my center is CC-370 and the sub is PDR-12. The sub has a subwoofer knob on the back that is set to about 1/3. There is another knob labeled cutoff. It goes from 50 to 150 mHz and is set about half-way. There are connectors on the back for hooking up other speakers but I have never done that. I have the sub connected to the receiver via coax. I am assuming my speakers are still quite adequate--I'm sure I could not afford to upgrade them. Not if I want to stay happily married. :) Here are my questions: 1) As I have made inquiries about receivers and do research on them, I keep seeing references to "crossover'. What does that mean and how do I make use of that? 2) Do I need to do anything with those knobs on the back of my sub? I know these are probably all questions I should have asked 11 years ago, but now that I'm going to get into a modern receiver I thought I better try to educate myself a little more. Thanks! Bruce

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On most subwoofers even when you use the rca/coax connection the crossover knob is still active so you should set it all the way to it's highest position of 150. And there's no need to try and match the setting you've selected on the receiver. I also don't see any need to up-grade your speakers if you really like the way they sound. Paradigm is one of the most respected speaker brands out there. in fact, most ir not all Canadian brands are very highly thought of but none more than paradigm. I've always wanted to try some Paradigm speakers but I need to learn more about the different series/models first. Maybe someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks