1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm speaker decision dilemma, Monitors , Phantoms etc..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_M, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

OK I am in a bind now. I hate being so indecisive and all but here it goes.

I was about to get the following

Monitor 7

cc370

mini monitor (surrounds)

Anyway I was listening to the Monitor 7's and wondered it maybe they were too much for my living space.

I hear they are not the best for small rooms and sometimes even produce almost a ringing like sound when in smaller spaces.

As lovely as these speakers sound, I am thinking if maybe they are more than I really need and if I am never going to use them to thier fullest and/or loudest potentiol

So now I was considering downgrading to either of the 2 setups:

SETUP 1

Phantom (mains)

Titans(surround)

CC170 or CC270 (center)

or

SETUP 2

Monitor 3's (fronts)

Mini Monitors (rears)

CC370 or CC170 for center

With the Performance setup I would save like 350 - 400 but I am fairly certain quality may be sacrificed though I haven't heard the Phantoms yet. I will go this week to hear them.

The second setup I would save maybe $200 depending what center I end up with.

My room is not all that big. I think it is about 12ft by 24 ft maybe...Half the room is used for HT and Music. I just don't want to end up with too much or something I will never really use to what it is capable of. It is more this than the money issue truthfully though obviously saving some $ would be nice but if I am going to get something that sounds alot better than the money can be overlooked.

Thanks for any advice.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no real performance advantage with the Monitor 3 vs the Mini Monitor. I listened to them both quite a bit, and I went with Minis up front, and I am very pleased with them. The 3s have a little more bass, but they don't sound as tight as the Minis to me.

BTW, I have Titans for rears and a CC170 and they blend surprisingly well with the Minis. I would say go Minis front and rear, or even Titans in the rear. I've been waiting a while for a CC370 to come in, but I am pleased with the CC170 so far.

3. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

How big a room do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I figured the Monitor 3's would be a bit better since they are not only bigger but have one more driver.

I haven't heard the 3's yet, just going by specs. I did hear the minis though and was pleased with what I heard.

4. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hey Eric, I think you are confusing the Monitor 3, which has 1) 1 inch tweet & 1) 8 inch woofer, with the Monitor 5, which has a 1) 1 inch tweet & 2) six inch woofs.

Aaron

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

IF your sticking with the Monitor series just go with Mini Monitors front/back and CC-370. This way your timbre matched all around.

Kevin

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My room is 12 x ~24, with 8' ceilings. I got some ringing with the Titans at very loud levels actually, but not with the Minis.

7. Jeremy_Sharp

Jeremy_Sharp Auditioning

Here's my setup:

room specs:

24 X 15 X 8

I have monitor 7's and the cc370. I don't notice anything off I'm very pleased with the speakers and crank them often for music and HT (although primarily HT).

side note: i have the monitor 7's about 10 foot from the couch. works great hope this helps!

8. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

Did any body see the article on Paradigm Legend V3 HT set for $1900 on S&V. S&V never explained if the drivers are new in the V3s or if V3s are coming out for all the series, Performance, Monitors and Reference.