What's new

Paradigm Signature S8 System Preamp/Amp questions (1 Viewer)

benn600

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Nunemaker
I have ordered the complete Paradigm Signature S8 system. My main concern now is choosing the right preamp & amp to go with the system. The reasonable suggestion by my dealer is the B&K Reference 200.5 and Reference 70 preamp. The total is around $6,600 before discount.

My other option is the Anthem P5 & D2. These add up to $14,700 before discount. So that's an extra $8,000.

My dealer claims that there is definitely an improvement across the board but the B&K is provides quite a bit for a lot less money. Obviously we went through this exact same thing with the Reference speakers! The Studio 100's were around $8K while the Signatures were around $16K, both before discount. We decided on the extra eight grand here. Of course many, including my dealer, say that the amp can be even more important than the speakers. It's just that we have to draw the line somewhere.

Would the B&K be a sufficient/very appropriate system for driving the speakers?

As a bonus question: how the heck are we going to pick what speaker wire to go with? It's tough to say ok, this is good enough when matching levels of "good-enough" is very tough.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Ben, there's a third option to consider.. the Anthem AVM 50 pre-pro, with an Anthem MCA 50 poweramp. This retails for around $7,000. I can assure you this system is no slouch, I recently auditionned her with a Paradigm Studio 100 system, very impressive overall. Search for the MCA 50 on Google and you'll find plenty of reviews pairing her with Signature Series products.

Paradigm and Anthem offer excellent synergy, which is no surprise as Paradigm owns Anthem.

Also, as I come from a source first philosophy, I feel that the source and the pre-amp (or pre-pro in this case) are more important than the speakers. As long as the poweramp has enough to drive the speakers then this would not be my primary concern. The AVM 50 is an exceptional pre-pro in this system.

As for speaker wire, many on this forum will recommend Blue Jeans Cable. I wouldn't put a huge investment into cable in your system.

Enjoy your new Signature speakers!

Alon

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a somewhat different approach than Alon. To me, the speakers physically create the sound, and are the primary source of the "Sound" of the system. Electronics are also important, particularly when talking about higher end speakers, but placement can make every bit as much difference, just in a different way.

You want to match the electronics to the speakers. I don't know about the Polks to say what that should be. As a general rule, you just want to tame brighter speakers (I have Thiel, which are often "accused" of being bright, and are great with pure class A amps) or liven more dead ones. I would actually listen to whatever the dealer can provide. I do NOT believe the electronics are more important, but can put the icing on, or deteriorate the system. Sellers like that approach you are hearing, because there is a lot more to sell, typically, in electronics than in speakers.

benn600

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Nunemaker
For around $7,000 would I be better off going with the B&K or the Anthem? B&K tops out at that price range (preamp + amp) while Anthem tops out at double that (each @ $7K).

So who is my seven grand better spent with? Of course the Anthem Statement is unbelievable but we are really starting to cut back as the S8 system is unbelievably expensive! More than we ever thought we'd end up buying, that's for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks