What's new

Paradigm Servo 15's X-30 (1 Viewer)

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone out there with a Servo 15? I own a used Servo 15 without the X-30. For my birthday, my buddy ordered me X-30 crossover box. The servo doesn't have any crossover or phase control settings, that's why he's getting me that. This is my first sub. I'm not sure if there's any use for the X-30. Can anyone here explain to me why we need it.

I own a Marantz sr7200 receiver. I use the Marantz internal crossover. Although the menu doesn't allow me to set the crossover frequency, only the option of setting the speaker to small or large.

Phase control?? What does that do??

ANy inputs appreciated. THanks!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Dave, I have a Servo-15 with an X-30 as well.

Started to use it with my Receiver, and found it was great for remote control of the sub volume and phase (phase of your sub can be changed from 0 to 180 degrees relative to the signal coming in. Most people adjust the phase control to get maximum SPL out of their sub). Once they are set, then there is really no other use for the X-30 with a receiver.

Since my receiver has a fixed crossover (80Hz in my case, I would believe yours is probably 80 or 100Hz as well), the crossover controls need to be set to max on the X-30 to try and keep them out of the way of the receivers crossover. Even at max (150Hz) on the X-30, I found that there was some additional changes in sound due to the 80Hz crossover of the receiver and crossover of the X-30 interacting. I wound up removing the X-30 and setting the volume of the sub from the plate amp, and not worrying about the phase.

The biggest benefit (and main use) of the X-30 would be between a preprocessor (preamp) and power amp, where you could use the variable crossover of the X-30 for the low pass to the sub, and use one of the 3 (50/80/120) fixed high pass outputs of the X-30 available to go to the amp(s) powering your other speakers. In effect it is a mini bass management box.

I don't think I am very good at explaining the above, but in my opinion, from my experience with a receiver only, there is no real need for the X-30 other than the ability to control the volume from your rack.

Maybe there are others here that can run with this to help you out. Here is a post I started that may give you a bit of idea what I went through:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=193948

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I do have an Outlaw 755 amp (200wpc x 5). But I'm not following you. Are you saying there's speakers inputs on the X-30 box for use right between preamp and amp??

PaulT

Supporting Actor
No. There are RCA connections so the X-30 is between the receiver and amp.

The X-30 has 2 inputs:
either from the LFE out(s) or pre out(s) of your receiver.

It has 2 outputs (for dual subs) which are low pass filtered, adjusted with the knob on the front of the unit (30-150Hz, 3rd order 18db/octave). The other adjustments are gain, and phase (0-180 degrees) of 1 of the subs.

The other outputs are fixed high pass filters (in pairs) using either 50Hz, 80Hz, or 120Hz at 18db/octave.

The typical hookup would be:
Preamp L/R outputs to X-30 L/R inputs.
X-30 Low Pass output(s) to the Sub(s).
X-30 High Pass L/R outputs to the external Amp L/R inputs.
Center and Surround connections as normal from receiver to amp.
Set the Front L/R speakers to 'large' on your receiver.
Set the remaining speakers to 'small' on your receiver.
Set the Sub to 'none' or 'off' on your receiver.

You can now set the Low Pass cutoff frequency of the signal going to the Sub via the knob on the front of the X-30.

You can pick the High Pass cut off frequency you are sending to your front L/R speakers (via the external amp) depending on which High Pass output you plug into.

The receiver will do the Bass Management for the center and surrounds using whatever fixed crossover it has (100Hz according to John's post). The Bass Management for the Front L/R is done by the X-30, and the Sub is adjusted by the X-30.

If you want speaker level connections, then the X-20 has those.

I hope this helps.:)

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
I see what you mean. Are you saying I won't need to connect the preamp's LFE OUT to one of the X30's inputs. But what happens to 5.1 setup for movies, because I'm 70/30 HT/music. Will setting the sub setting to NONE on the preamp affect the sound processing?? The setup that you mentioned, is it more for the benefit of music?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
You do not need to connect the LFE out to one of the inputs if you wish to use the X-30 for Bass Management:

What happens when you set the Front L/R speakers to 'large' and the Sub to 'off' in your receiver, is the receiver now sends the 'Full Range' signal (including what is in the .1 of 5.1) to the pre-outs for the L/R channels. It also adds the .1 signal that was to go to the center and surrounds, as you have re-routed that by setting those speakers to 'small'.

The X-30 now does the Bass Management, and sends the .1 signal to the Sub (with an adjustable crossover), and the rest of the High Passed signal to the Front L/R speakers (through the amp).

Here's a good read to maybe explain what happens to the .1 info when you choose 'large' or 'small' for speakers and 'on' or 'off' for Sub:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...home_bass.html

This will work for HT and Music. The only thing you have done by hooking it up as above is removed the fixed Bass Management for the front speakers from your receiver, and made it adjustable on the X-30. Since you have an Outlaw product, let's say that the X-30 is similar to a 2 channel ICBM....

If you want to keep the Bass Management as it is in your receiver (fixed) and not use that main feature of the X-30, then just plug the X-30 into the LFE out of your receiver and the output of the X-30 goes to your Sub, keeping whatever speaker settings you now have.

You now basically have only a remote volume control and phase adjustment for the Sub.

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul, I totally get it now. Drew myself a diagram and suddenly everything makes sense. Do you think this is the only benefit of the X-30?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
These days with a lot of Mass market Receivers offering adjustable Crossovers, the X-30 is becoming a bit dated, but it's main benefit is the adjustable crossovers, plus the ability to adjust the volume without going behind the Sub.

I wound up not using mine with the Receiver alone (after doing some listening tests), but have since gone to an outboard power amp, so might put it back in as I have described above - in between the receiver and amp.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I think one of the main benifits is ,if you are hooking up 2 servos because it has 2 outputs one dosen't have the phase and freq, but not a big deal. And if its close to u its nice to turn subs up and down when some extra thumpin is needed. Also 100 hz is to high for my taste i prefer 60 or 80 but its not a bad investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks