What's new

Paradigm Servo 15 vs. Sealed 122 litre Tempest sub (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I am simply wondering how these 2 subs would compare extension, output, and sound quality wise.
The latter of the 2 subs can be purchased for quite a bit less than the prior, so I suppose that would also come into account.
The tempest would be paired with the 250 watt Adire amp, as part of one of the kits from acoustic visions.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Removed

Nick V

Second Unit
Come on. No one has any information about this comparison. Anyone hear both of them or someting similar to the sealed tempest??

Any DIYers wanna chime in??

Nick V

Second Unit
Sorry about the impatience, but I'm gonna buy a sub fairly soon (finally) and was just wondering what to buy. Wondering if the price of the Paradigm was justified, and wondering if I could get similar performance for less money.

I suppose something similar to the sealed Tempest would be another sealed 15" subwoofer, but a 15" ported design would be similar enough?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Unfortunately I don't think anyone's measured the newer version of the Servo-15 (most reviews are of the 15, not the 15a which has the improved driver). Although I haven't heard the exact Tempest config you mention, I've heard a sealed (slightly smaller) version. Subjectively, I'd give the Tempest the nod for output and the Servo the nod for musicality. In terms of extension they were a wash (IMO).

Properly done DIY subs will always outperform their commercial counterparts in terms of performance. If you have the time & tools, it's well worth pursuing IMO...

FWIW, I replaced my Servo-15 with a large DIY sub design...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I don't really know what to say. I've done my playing with vented subs but I haven't played with sealed subs at all.

Have you listened to the Servo? Some people don't like what a servo feedback circuit does to a subs sound.

You could ask Ron-P to go audition a Servo15 and contrast what he hears with his sealed Tempest. If he's willing that is.

If you upped the size to get the Q into the low .6 or high .5 range I think the Tempest would have an edge on sound quality as well. Output wise I'm just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks