Paradigm Servo-15 vs. PW-2200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gruson, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I own the PW-2200 now. However, I am wondering how much better would the Servo-15 sound..if at all.

I listen to my movies above reference level and I love the bass that the 2200 gives. I do not listen to music on my system and I have heard that music is what the servo-15 is really great at.

Would I get a lot more "punch in the chest" bass when watching movies like Pearl Harbor/LOTR/TPM with the Servo-15 or no?

I can get it for around $1000 so I am tempted to buy it.

Any suggestions?

Please do not recommend SVS subs....I tried them and prefer Paradigm.

-Jeff

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The Servo15 will not go as loud as a PW2200. If you want more punch and are happy with your PW2200 then buy another one and stack it on top of the first one. 6dB more punch right there.

3. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Thanks Dustin, exactly what I wanted to know and probably what I will end up doing.

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Ditto.

I have a Servo-15 matched to Active-40 for music, and PW-2200 with Monitors for movies. Both are getting a workout; bouth are great.

BTW: Anyone in DC metro area interested in nicely broken in set of Monitors (9,5,CC,ADP) ? I want to upgrade to Studios....

_zjt

5. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gruson...you might want to try to listen to both subs first. I just bought a Servo-15...excellent for music. But I find it gives "great punch" for movies as well. The bass is a little tighter on the Servo-15, so the perception might not be that it is boomy or loud enough.

Try listening to both if you can and make your decision from that.

6. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I have the Servo-15 as well, but I haven't heard the PW-2200. What I can tell you about the Servo-15 is that it gives me real low bass extension at a real high SPL. Its bass I can feel. My flooboards and other structures literally rumble and tremble on bass filled tracks, whether in movies or music. However, based on what I've read, the PW-2200 might be a bit better with movies since its more "boomy", for lack of a better word.

7. Darren_Falco

Darren_Falco Auditioning

Jeff,

I run dual PW-2200's and couldn't be happier. I have no problems with too little bass whatsoever. I was watching the Pod Race a few weeks back at reference level and my pant legs were moving because of the sub's. I like the boom that I get out of the 2200's in movies especially, and I find that they're not too bad musically either. A bit of overhang, but then again I'm not into critical listening. I don't think you could go wrong with getting another 2200 and stacking them.

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Gruson,

When did you last hear an SVS? I believe it was before any of the current models/drivers were introduced? No intent to badger at all, I simply think it might be helpful for folks to know what SVS you tried and when... just as a frame of reference.

That's not to say your preference would be any different in a comparison today (the PW2200 is a very good sub after all!), but virtually all components in all our subs are significantly improved over models just a year ago.

Respectully,

Ron Stimpson

9. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

I also have a pair of PW2200. When you stack them, do you remove the feet on the top one? I tried stacking them but thought they were a little unstable, meaning that the top one was barely fitting, because the tops of them are beveled. If you did remove the feet, how did you do it.

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer