What's new

Paradigm Servo 15 or 2 Velodyne CT 120s? (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I can get both of these setups for around $1200 CAD. The Servo obviously extends lower but the 2 12" would go louder.
I am also thinking that once I finish school and get a decent job I may feel like just upgrading the 2 CT 120s and getting Dual Servo 15s.
Which do you think is the better option?
Aaron

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Aaron- Man, do you have choices!
How about a Velodyne HGS-12 or 15? (I had a 10, then a 12 and liked them very much.)
How about SVS? (I will definately look into these next time I'm looking around.)
And my personal fave at the moment, Vandersteen? (I have a V2W now, that I will not be parting with anytime soon!)
Very simple difference between the Paradigm Servo 15 and 2 Velodyne CT's: distortion at higher output levels at lower freqs. The CT's will not be good.
Any Servo controlled sub (Velodyne HGS, Paradigm Servo), or the Vandersteen (with feed forward error correction, FFEC) is designed to minimze this distortion by either electronic and/or mechanical means. The SVS is simply designed to avoid it because of the way that it's designed.
But you have to judge for yourself what is important or not.
------------------

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
What about SVS or Adire Audio's Dharman? What's your preference, cylinder or box?
SVS CS-Ultra would be really sweet, but it exceeds your budget. Tons of reviews here and elsewhere. Service and support is second to none. With your budget, how about a CS or PC?
I think that Adire Audio is not located too far from you....in the Seattle area I think. You would probably have to check if they have stock right now. With the Dharman, it's better and much cheaper to pick them up if at all possible....shipping to Canada via UPS is very expensive IMO (yeah, I had emailed them a month or two ago...forgot what it was, but it was pricey to say the least). Most of the Dharman reviews seem to be at HTT.
I think that you would be happy either way. Good luck.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on September 14, 2001 at 07:59 PM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Kevin I would absolutely love a HGS sub, but I was quoted $3500 CAD for the HGS 15 and $4000 CAD for the HGS 18.
I don't think that the SVS is the same performance as the servo 15? I also think that by the time you pay taxes and delivery and duty it works out to be quite expensive indeed.
Aaron

Jerry T

Agent
Aaron,
I'll make you a deal. I'll sell my Dual SVS 20-39cs and an amp for $3000 CDN. So I can purchase the CS-Ultra.
wink.gif

Just kidding with you.
Dual SVS 20-39cs will outperform the Paradigm and the Velodyne and you save ~$1000 after taxes, exchange and duty. You can then add to your DVD collection with the extra cash. Or give it to me.
wink.gif

Pretty sure you can get the pair of SVS + Amp Package for under $2300 CDN. If you want just one sub instead of two without compromising performance, check out the CS-Ultra + Amp Package for under $2750 CDN.
Go here for prices:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/
Go here for performance comparison:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/039198.html
Jerry
[Edited last by Jerry T on September 14, 2001 at 08:54 PM]

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
Servo 15 vs SVS 20-39?
You might want to ask Trevor Schell? He has a pair of Servo 15 AND a a pair of SVS 20-39CS w/Samson amp.
If I recall correctly, based on what I have read, the SVS 20-39CS generally matches and exceeds the Servo 15. Last year, I auditioned the Servo 15 with the Denon AVR-4800 and Paradigm Studio/60 V.2 (a 2 hour demo in Prince George)....the Servo performed admirably, but it didn't meet my expections. I guess that I am a bass fanatic. If I could afford it right now, I would likely get a SVS CS-Ultra in the low CDN$2000 range.
Dave

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I have already asked Trevor this a while back and he felt that the Servo 15 was the better performer of the two. I do not know if this is still his sentiments or not since he has had more time to live with both sets of subwoofers.
I'm trying to come in around not much more than 1 grand CAD so I really want the best bang for my buck. I also want to have those low low frequencies.
If SVS wanted me to be one of their testers for the Canadian contingent I would be more than happy to comply. I could do a long term test to see how the subwoofers fare in the harsh northern climate
laugh.gif
Aaron

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think a single 20-39 would out perform a single servo 15. If you are talking a pair of 20-39s, then that is a different story. One CS-Ultra with samson 1000 amp would perform (I believe) better than a single servo 15, but considering the exchange rate and duty it would be possible to purchase 2 servos for the price of one CS-ultra plus the amp. One ultra versus two servo 15s, that is a good comparison, anyone have any data, TV or Ron??
------------------

DavidY

Supporting Actor
IMO, there aren't many excellent performing subs in the CDN$1000 range...
I bought my dual Mission 700AS for under a grand Canadian, including PST, GST and shipping. Although Tom Nousaine of Sound & Vision measured the Mission 700AS (LFE: 102 dB at 25 Hz; average SPL of just over 108 dB between 25-62Hz, 10% max distortion in all tests, 7500 cu.ft. room), the dual subs dropped off significantly below 32 Hz in MY 10'x20'x8' room....maybe a null in my room???
In Vancouver, Paradigm PW2200 can be had for CDN$750 plus taxes. Also, the Hsu Research VTF-2 is in the same price range and appears to be in the same performance class.
Also, four Sony SAWM-40 subs may do the trick.
I think that the Adire Dharman is also in the CDN$1000 range (local pickup). Based on what I have read, it goes fairly low as well. This is probably your best best...besides a 16-46CS or a 20-39CS (have to add an amp though).
Dave
Edit: Added four Sony subs. :D
[Edited last by DavidY on September 14, 2001 at 09:36 PM]

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Aaron, I re4cently bought a 20-39cs to help my Servo 15a in a large room with opening to dining room and kitchen. 26x18 with a opening to the dining room. The Servo is a great sub and gives adequate bass in most of the viewing area but towards the dining room I was losing SPL's.I run the SVS with 1 channel of a Parasound 2205at 300 watts @4ohms.So far I have now almost have reference bass in a large room. The SVS sub has for the most kept up with the Servo except for the very low and long bass parts in DVD's.Unbreakable at reference level the 20-39 strained somewhat where the Servo kept on purring(train scene).I am very estatic with the SVS for the price.$700 less than the Servo.If I had it to do again I would probably go with the new ultra combo.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I can get both of these setups for around $1200 CAD. The Servo obviously extends lower but the 2 12" would go louder.One CS-Ultra with samson 1000 amp would perform (I believe) better than a single servo 15, but considering the exchange rate and duty it would be possible to purchase 2 servos for the price of one CS-ultra plus the amp. One ultra versus two servo 15s, that is a good comparison, anyone have any data, TV or Ron??
------------------
The CS_Ultra's haven't had their performance specs measured/published yet. But I could make a guess based on the measurements I've gathered. I would GUESS..a single CS_U/S1000 would approach the performance of dual servo15s.
Here's what I'm looking at. The servo15 hit 107.3 (25-63hz)when measure by Tom Nousaine. The 20-39cs hit 109.5dB. I think the CS_U would offer an easy 3dB gain in this freq range(using TN's testing methods)...so that's 112.5dB. Twin servo15s would hit about 113.3dB. Less than a dB difference.
I think we have the dual CS_U/S1000 package priced extremely aggresive($2295) considering the performance levels we're talking about. However,it might not be possible for svs to compete against a system heavily favoring buying canadian goods like this.
----------------------------
>>>I bought my dual Mission 700AS for under a grand Canadian, including PST, GST and shipping. Although Tom Nousaine of Sound & Vision measured the Mission 700AS (LFE: 102 dB at 25 Hz; average SPL of just over 108 dB between 25-62Hz, 10% max distortion in all tests, 7500 cu.ft. room), the dual subs dropped off significantly below 32 Hz in MY 10'x20'x8' room....maybe a null in my room???

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, check out the advanced forum on this site. Do a search for the Tempest. This driver in a well designed and constructed enclosure should come close to or match a Servo15 in sound quality and beat it for low end extension and shear output level capabilites.
Mind you this will only really be an option if you have or have access to the tools necessary. The savings start to go away as you purchase or rent tools.
In the end it cost me just over $800 CDN to build my 260L Tempest tuned to just under 17hz with a 6" port (that includes the amp, all building materials, shipping charges and taxes).
You can see some pics and a write up littered with grammar and spelling errors here:
http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
You need both the Servo-15 and the SVS.
Actually I am a really big fan of the Servo-15's and would never give them up. They keep up to anything with out missing a beat.
When postitioned correctly the Servo-15's produce a very nice concussive slam and are very accurate and tight.
The SVS's are also a very excellent sub and work well with the Servo-15's,,however as mentioned earlier they will strain on reference material.
The SVS are very accurate and detailed plus offer a impact when called upon.
I will be replacing my SVS's though with the SVS Ultra very soon.
I will never run less than 4 subs in my room though.
I experience dynamics that put a hiuge smile on my face every time I fire up my system.
Have Fun.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
The room the subwoofer will be going in is 5250 cubic feet. How much does that play into the subwoofer purchasing decision? Maybe more than one sub is necessary?
Aaron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>The room the subwoofer will be going in is 5250 cubic feet. How much does that play into the subwoofer purchasing decision? Maybe more than one sub is necessary?
Aaron

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well various locations will be possible.
No the room is not opened up to other rooms, it is totally sealed.
I have no idea what volume in terms of decibels because I don't have an SPL meter, but enough to be able to "feel" the bass.
Aaron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Well various locations will be possible.
No the room is not opened up to other rooms, it is totally sealed.>I have no idea what volume in terms of decibels because I don't have an SPL meter, but enough to be able to "feel" the bass.
Aaron

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
All I can say is that Im perfectly happy with my servo-15.
It shakes my theater well!!
icon14.gif

------------------
Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-09-09
And PLEASE sign my guestbook!!
http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/
[Edited last by Jens Raethel on September 16, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Jens that is a really nice looking theater you have there. Is that some type of cloth you have on the walls?
I have been thinking about doing some wall treatments, mostly in terms of a dark matte paint, but there has been many disagreements on what color. The colours you have chosen for yours are very nice indeed.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks