Paradigm Seismic 10 Footsteps (Unexplained Thumping)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jay Mitchosky, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Looking for some ideas here. This evening while watching the season premiere of '24' my Paradigm Seismic 10 all of a sudden started thumping - whomp, whomp, whomp at a regular interval every second or so. Quickly switched it to OFF (usually on Auto). Turning it on again the regular thumping continues. Switching the input switch from RCA to XLR and the thumping continues. Adjust the sub volume dial to minimum and - yep - thumping continues. I've since unplugged it wondering if it will reset. But I'm hesitant to turn it on again until I have an idea as to what might be the problem.

All thoughts welcome.

2. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

disconnect your input from receiver and see if it still thumps, if so, then I think your amp took a dump. [​IMG]

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey Morgan

I don't think it's the amp (at least if you're referring to the receiver). I had experimented shutting off the RCA input (switched to XLR) with no change. Just unplugged the sub connection entirely and it's still thumping after being unplugged for the night. Methinks the sub's amp might have gone. [​IMG]

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

that's the logical conclusion at this point then given your tests.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Something in the amp is failing for sure. Warranty time...

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

At least it's easy to carry around. [​IMG] Strange that it went as it rarely gets worked hard.

7. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Yep - something in the amp board is toast.

I experienced a similar situation a while back with a Pinnacle Digital Sub 600 I had in my kitchen system. It was very similar to your deal...except the thumping occurred at 3 a.m. while everybody was sleeping...and the system was off! It sounded like somebody manning a set of heavy guns downstairs! I haven't flown out of bed that fast in a long time.

Pinnacle replaced the complete amp board at no charge...even though I had purchased the sub off eBay. What an awesome company! [​IMG]

Aaron

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

That's a riot. One of my worst "HT In The Night" wakeup experiences was following a power outage. For whatever reason Denon receivers turn on following an interuption in power. Likewise Toshiba DVD players. Add the two together, along with a copy of End of Days and you have an extremely creepy wakeup call. The menu music is sick enough when you're awake! [​IMG]