Paradigm Reference vs. Monitor Audio Gold

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Craig Beierlein, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Craig Beierlein

I'm looking to upgrade my Paradigm Reference speaker setup (100's,cc,ADP's) and was wondering if anyone has spent time with both the Paradigm Speakers and the Monitor Gold series speakers. If so your impressions.
    Use will be 75% Home Theater 25% music.
    None of the Monitor Audio dealers in my area carry Paradigm so I can hear them side by side.
    Also I'd like to hear from others that have upgraded from the Paradigm Reference series to something else and your thoughts.

thanks,
    Craig

2. Craig Beierlein

No one has upgraded their Paradigm Referance Series speakers to something else ?
    Lets hear from some of you and your impressions.

3. DanKaps

DanKaps Extra

Craig,

Since you already have the Paradigms at home, ask one of your MA dealers for a demo pair to try in your home for an afternoon. That's what I did when I upgraded from my NHT 1.5's and AC-1 to MA Gold Reference 10's and center. There's no better way to decide if they are right for you, in your room.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have heard both the Paradigm Reference line (which I used to own) and the Monitor Audio Gold Reference (which I demoed). To be honest, the speakers have very similar sonic characteristics. They sound very similar. I would give the slight edge to detail and midrange to the GR's. But, whether these slight advantages are worth it to you based on the relative price points of these speakers is debatable.

When I sold my Paradigm's, I went to an all ACI setup (www.audioc.com) with Sapphires in front, Emeralds in the rear and on-wall and an Essence center. They are slightly more expensive than Paradigm, but the sound is much smoother and much more enjoyable for long listening sessions IMO. But again, YMMV.