Paradigm Reference V2 Vs. V3 - Has anyone done a direct comparison?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnKings, Jul 15, 2003.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for direct comparisons of similar models in the V2 line vs. the V3 Line. I have the V2s (100's, 60's and 20's) and want to know if it would be worth upgrading.

Thanks for any and all input.

John

2. JohnPaulJ

JohnPaulJ Extra

This past Saturday I purchased a pair of studio 40's and a
    denon 1802, I asked if they had the v3's up for demo and they only had the 60's. But when I asked to listen to them
    he could not get the preamp to work!
    I did talk with another salesman about them tho and he said
    there was no major step up in sound quality in his opinion
    ...now I believe that he listened to them without breaking
    them in. He did say he had the v2 and v3 60's side by side.
    I'm going to be stopping by there this coming Saturday to pick up some stands for the 40's, maybe they will have them working by then.

3. JohnKings

JohnPaulJ:

Please let me know what you think when you have an opportunity to listen to them. I have been reading very disparate reviews. Some are saying there is a night and day difference and others are saying there is little to no difference. I am looking for an apples to apples comparison using similar electronics in an indentical listening environment. Unofrtunately, I am not able to do this as my dealer and I are on relatively bad terms (I purchased my last setup in Canada to save money) and he is not happy that I did this.

Thanks for your input,

John

4. JohnKings

C'mon someone must have done a side by side comparison by this point!

5. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I just listened to the 60's v2 + v3 to see if mine were worth upgrading and me my friend and the salesman all agreed the v3 did sound a bit different but for me defently not worth a upgrade, It would have had to been a drastic change for me. O they were running on a rotel 180 wpc, But i really cant say there was that mutch difference good or bad.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

8. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

9. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

True, but its a general indicator and those 40's are way more than that receiver can handle for sure.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

11. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Doug I would defenitly say if you like the v2 you would like the v3 mabey even more ,the sound amazing and they had 85 hours broken in time when i listened to them, But not so much better i would upgrade they would have had to been alot better which to me they weren't. But if they were side by side and i could pick either pair I probally, without hearing my v2s first would have chosen the v3s. But since i own the v2s I would pretend the v3s were crap and that nothing could be better than my v2s lol.

12. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

13. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

14. JohnKings

bump - anyone have any new comparisons / reviews?

15. Robert Posey

Robert Posey Agent

I've had my v3's for about a month now. 100's, cc470 & 40's in the rear. While I never got the chance to compare the v2's side by side against the v3's, I can say that both are good ... very good.

V3's right out of the box were very smooth and detailed sounding and they just seem to be getting better and better every day.

One thing that really stands out when watching movies now is the seamless panning of sound effects ..... absolutely perfect sounding compared to my old (mismatched) speakers.

Robert

16. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

That makes a HUGE difference with HT. I had an older set of 'digms that blended well, but the studio V2s I purchased earlier this year really create a sense there is complete sound field in front instead of three speakers.

17. JohnKings

bump for more input

18. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I would be very interested in this too. I know my dealer is not putting out the new 100's until he sells his demo pair.

19. craig_d_can

craig_d_can Extra

I'm sure that Paradigm knows exactly what they're doing. I think they would be crazy to greatly change(improve?) an extremely successful line of speakers. I have not heard the v3's, but I have a hard time seeing them being THAT much different...if they were they might be wise to create a new line between the Studio's and their new top-of-the-line speakers.

20. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I have the Studio 100 v.2s and just listened to the v.3s. I will disagree with some of the previous responses in that there is a great improvement between the v.2s and the v.3s..so much so that I am upgrading. The v.3s have new drivers that are better than in the v.2s

I can only talk for the Studio 100s because that's all I was auditioning, but the sound is more open, more forward without any intrinsic "colouring" of the sound, wider imageing and depth, way better mids and highs.

I also like the more compact build of the new version 3s. The only way that you will know is by listening to them...don't speculate. I actually thought that the v.3s would not sound any different. I actually went in the store ready to not hear any difference, I was wrong.

If you don't think the v.3s are worth ugprading to, then at least you can say that your choice is based on experience.