Paradigm Reference Studio 40's or 100's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

well of course on the surface that is a no brainer but I am moving heavy into DVD Audio and SACD so having full range speakers may be a big plus. I could do 4 studio 40's and the center or I could do 2 studio 100's with the center but am not sure what to do for the rears. I am mating these with a Yamaha rxv-1000 receiver and dual 20-39cs"i" subs. I do not want to buy speakers for many moons after this purchase. I most likely will add a amp using the yamaha pre amp outlets within 8 months of the speaker purchase.

I am looking at all brands of speakers right now but I am unsure what to do to maximize the high fidelity of DVD-Audio. My listening habits are 70% music to 30% HT, thant was reversed just a few months ago. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks

Greg

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

For an audio setup, I generally recommend that users buy the "best" main channel loudspeakers that they can afford, and add on from there, especially if the setup is used for music and movies. The Studio 20, Studio 40, Studio 100, and Studio CC should all have a similar timbre and they should all work well together. Ideally, you will want to compare the different loudspeaker setups at home. Go with what works best for you.

Good luck!

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Does Paradigm even sell rear speakers, the dealer never even talked about my rears, which was frustrating cause I told him I want to have good surround sound for my 6 channel music.

That is another thing that you have to look at, this guy is playing the Studio 100's in a treated room with a Krell Amp and Pre-Amp and a Sony CD player, not exactly something I will be able to reproduce any time soon.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Greg,
    I do believe Paradigm has speakers that work well for the rear. The Reference Studio 100 v.2 just got a Recommended Components listing in Stereophile (class B - full range) which is usually a good sign!
    I have an alternative recommendation though. I use Magneplanar 1.6QRs and they sound great for $1700 and you can build a good five channel system around them. [​IMG] I use them to listen to playback of studio sessions, although I have a ton of expensive electronics with them. Stereophile and The Absolute Sound have both said they are a tremendous bargain.
    The key for HT is making sure the front 3 channels are matched in timbre.
    Lee

5. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

Studio ADP are dipole surround speakers, using the same drivers as the Studio 20 (and the rest of the Studio line).

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Greg, I use Paradigm Reference 40's in the front and 20's in the back for my SACD applications. What I do is I have the player (Sony 555ES) perform the bass management internally, meaning that having full range speakers is no longer a must. Because SACD requires analog passthrough in the receiver/processor, you will need to get a great player to make your system sound the best. I have a Mirage BPS-100 subwoofer that sounds great in this system with an Anthem MCA 5 amp and Anthem AVM-20 processor. I don't feel I miss a thing with this setup and you should have no reservations. Highly recommended. The key is the first rate player that can perform acceptable bass management internally and having a good processor with true analog passthrough. If you have these things, you can go with less than full range speakers.

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Evan,

The bass management part is the biggest issue, I bought a cheap player just to get into DVD Audio as I am assuming in just a short time there will be very nice combo players in the $500 range. These were the prices the store quoted me

Studio 100's-$1900 a pair

Studio 40'a pair-$900 a pair

Reference Center-$500

ADP'S-$800 a pair.

Not sure what the 20's where but $600 sticks out.

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have 100's up front, the CC, and Energy speakers for my surrounds, with the RX-V1000. As long as you set your speakers to "small", the yammie can easily drive the 100's (at least at the volumes I play at; music peaking out around 85-90dB). Given your nice subs, I assume you will run "small" regardless of which speaker you get...

I'm very happy with the 100's. If I had to do it again, and multichannel music was a priority, I'd strongly consider five 40's (one shielded - instead of a CC). But I'd have to do some listening first...

I too plan to buy separate amplification in the future... but the setup sounds good enough for me for a while, so I'm not in any hurry.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Martin.

9. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Does the price that I am getting seem resonable, there is only one Paradigm dealer here in Phoenix.

10. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

That's about the price I paid for my 100's here in Houston a year ago so that sounds reasonable. Generally speaking Paradigm dealers don't give huge discounts I've noticed.... I would expect to get 10% off of retail which seams to be what you would be paying.
    I use 100 mains, 4 studio 20's for surrounds (2 are surround back), a CC and a PW-2200 sub (I live in an apt. no servo for me [​IMG] ).
    I often wonder what DVDA would sound like through a 4 x 40 + CC setup.
    For two channel audio I love my 100's and I wouldn't trade them, and in fact I'm contemplating picking up a second pair for rears (maybe used?), but I didn't have that kind of money when I was first buying them.
    For HT and and 2 channel music either setup would suffice (assuming a good sub). About the only advantage the Studio 40 config offers is that your speakers will 100% match front to back which will be better for multi channel music, and of course, they are cheaper.
    I guess what it comes down to... will you listen to more 2 channel music or multi-channel music? Assuming the former, are you willing to cough up the dough for the 100's? If you are hesitant to spend the money on the 100's for mains than the 4 x Studio 40 setup would be sweet.
    However, I do prefer the Studio 100's for 2 channel music so I'm happy with my choice.
    The best advice... go listen to some two channel music on both the 40's and 100's and then decide for yourself. Some people actually prefer the sound of the 40's over the 100's. If your in that camp, then your decision is easy.
    -Alan

11. Martin Rendall

Greg,

Based on past posts, those prices seem to be fairly close to MRSP. You might try going through the archives to see what prices others have achieved.

Regards,

Martin.

12. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

I have 4 x Active-40 for front and rear, and 2 x Studio-ADP driven by Parasound 1500HTA. Sub - PW-2200; no center channel (virtual), with MC-1 for processing. Using it with Logic7 for 2/DD/DTS sources, it is fantastic.

_zjt

13. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

14. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Pandoras Box has just been opened.

As I understand it if you have really good subs such as the SVS are then you want those subs to handle as much of the bass as possible, not just the LFE but everything. I think with solid mains like the 100's your real question is what to cross them over at, they can produce good bass down to 40hz or so. It relly does not matter the speaker size, I once read(from Brian Florian) if you like setting your speakers to large then more than likely your sub is not very good.

Oh boy if that not a floodgate statement!

Greg

15. BrianKing

BrianKing Auditioning

I just bought a pair of studio 40's and a PW2200 and love them. I purchased the 40's for $790 and the PW2200 for 705. I am just waiting to replace my current center channel with the CC.
    I didn't get to hear the 100's. I chose the 40's for space considerations and couldn't be happier.
    However, I might kick my self in the future for not waiting for the new SVS PCi line to come out though.
    BK [​IMG]

16. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Too bad you live so far from Canada. Last June, I took a drive over to Canada (from Michigan) and purchased the 100's, the CC and the studio ADP's.

The bottom line cost after getting the taxes refunded to me was about $2200 total for all of the speakers.

By the way, the speakers are great. I use them for about 80% music and 20% HT.

17. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I don't know what the current MSRP's are, but I received approximately 21% off MSRP from my dealer here in Kansas City.

Of course, we have two dealers in the KC area, so that helps!

Mike

18. Martin Rendall

Mike Veroukis,

The short answer is that I've tried it both ways, for a reasonable period of time, and prefer it with the speakers on small.

The medium answer is that my sub goes deeper than the 100's, so even for 2 channel listening, using the sub is preferrable. Secondly, and this might just be in my head, but the midrange and upper bass sounds cleaner on small. This could be because the amps in my receiver exhibit less distortion with the narrower frequency range. It could also be my cables, or just my imagination. I also did some SPL checks using test tones, and the reponse curve was much better with the sub than the 100's stand alone. With so many factors affecting SPL responses, I wouldn't even hint that it was due to the 100's themselves.

The long answer is that there seems to be considerable evidence (although not undisputed evidence) that having one source of bass below 80Hz is perferrable to having more than one, due to cancellation. I certainly don't want to get into that in this thread (or at all, for that matter), but a search or the archives should turn up some fantastic debates on the subject.

Regards,

Martin.

19. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I guess the obvious followup is, if you're going to run them on "small" anyway, how much better are the Studio/100s than the Studio/40 or 60?

If you're crossing over at 80 Hz, then the two 8" cones in the 100s are only handling the range from 80Hz - 250 Hz (plus a bit beyond, I know) which is only about an octave and a half. That seems like a pretty narrow range.

20. Martin Rendall

Marc,

You are right... The 100's benefit from an 8" driver which the 40's don't, but only for a restricted range. I suspect that I wouldn't buy the 100's again, if I could do it over again.

The 40's are a great alternative which should not be overlooked!

Martin.