What's new

Paradigm Reference setup suggestions (1 Viewer)

Nauman

Agent
hey folks,

some guy is selling paradigm studio 100 v.2 for $1660.
its only some weeks used.

i had plans to setup
studio 40 v.3 mains
CC-470 v.3 center
ADP-470 v.3 SS
PW-2200 sub
powered by either Denon 3805, HK 635 or Pioneer 54tx

just wanted some suggestions abt it, if i use 100 v.2 with this setup instead of 40 v.3 , wud they go well.

i dunno if there is a significant difference b/w v.2's and v.3's

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The v3s have been out for about a year now, so I don't see how someone would have v2s that were only used for a few weeks, unless they had put them in storage or something.

The v2s and v3s sound different to me, but I think they'll still blend pretty well. The x-overs were tweaked, but the drivers are still fairly similar. If you are going to do a lot of multi-channel music, all v3s up front might be a better idea. Between 40s and 100s, I'd try to get the 100s though...

Nauman

Agent
thanks ,

well im in pakistan , and im sure there will be lot more unpacked older versions of speakers in the dealers' stores here.

well these 100's sure are tempting , but my budget wont allow, ill clear my mind about it. :)

now im not sure abt the recievers. i like the looks of new line of HK . autoEQ of pioneer has got good reviews.
Denon's remote is breathtaking. ... wut to go with , with this setup

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know it's not what you want to hear, but the most power you can afford with a full Studio setup. If you are looking at something like the 3805, you are probably better off with the 40s because they'll be easier to drive than the 100s. The Studios can drop to pretty low impedances, so they like plenty of reserve power (headroom), but it looks like you are right about the right level with those receivers; I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Nauman

Agent
just came from the dealer's shop.

he doesnt have the CC-470 which goes with the reference

he suggested CC-370 frm the monitor series wud also go well with it. i havent auditioned it yet.

he said the POLK audio lineup is arriving soon, so im gonna wait and audition them aswell.

apart frm tat he suggested a JBL woofer if i was goin for studio 100
he didnt have PW-2200. he had SERVO 15 though.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I would just stick with the 40's and the all v3 setup. If he can order you the cc-470, tell him you'll take the 370 until he can get the other one in and make him give you full trade in.
Then take the extra money and get that wicked, awesome, kickass, Servo 15.
That way it would for sure match across the front and you'd have plenty of bass to boot. Plus you could always get v3 100's down the road and not worry about matching problems.
Plus, like John mentioned, the 100's do thrive on power and you would probably not be doing them justice with a reciever.

Good luck!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 370 is a good speaker, but it does not match the Studio line and I would not recommend it with Studio mains. I also wouldn't recommend most of JBLs subs. The S120PS (I don't remember the name) got a good review, but most of their others aren't worth it.

Only the Polk LSis are around the same league as the Studios, and they are comparably priced to the Studios. So if he is talking about anything below them, don't bother.

I didn't like any of Paradigm's subs until I heard the 2200 and Servo15 :D BUT, the Servo-15 is pretty expensive and you can get similar performance from SVS for less...though that may be a problem in Pakistan, so the Servo may be the way to go :)

Nauman

Agent
i guess ill have to ask him to ship the 40's for me , coz they only have 20's and 100's.

if i dont get 40's here, i think ill take the 100's and upgrade the reciever later on.
or 20's wud be enuff???..

and thnks for ur replies Chris and John :)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Is there an extra cost to you if he has to ship the stuff in?
If not and it's just time, then wait. It'll be worth it.
The 20's are amazing too, and if you get the sub there isn't much reason to go 40's. It depends on how big your room is I would think. The main thing I would think would be to match the front three for sure. If you go with v2 100's it's gonna be that much harder to try to get the center that matches since that is older stuff. I don't know how big of a deal that is to you, but I would try to make that happen.
Depending on your room I would skip the 100's and get the sub with either the 20's or 40's. The 100's slam in the bass, but they can't do what the Servo can. That way you don't have to worry about your amplification as much either.

Nauman

Agent
u r right about SVS John, the sales person didnt even know abt the name SVS the first time i met him.
im trying to convince him to ship the 40's and cc-470. tat wud add some cost on me , but save the cost of 100's.
there is a dealer in another city who is selling cc-570 for around $833, but for that ill have to go there by train; which is a 12 hrs journey.HmmppHH

:frowning:
chris: the suggestion abt 20's and servo sounds really good:D
i think im gonna have 20's for a while .. till someday i find a 40 lying around at the only dealer in my city, though its the biggest city of my country :/

mackie

Supporting Actor
I have a Studio 40v3, CC-470, 20v3 setup, and the 20s with a good sub will work fine. The main difference between the 20s and 40s is the 40s have a little more midrange presence. They sound very similar, and I could be very happy with an all 20 set-up. I highly recommend the cc-470 and suggest getting that, or you can use a 20 for a center channel if it doesn't interfere with your TV picture. It isn't video shielded. Whatever you choose, you'll end up with a really nice HT system since all the the Paradigm studio series speakers are good speakers.

Nauman

Agent
i would have used a 20v.3 for a center since the dealer doesnt have the reference center. but i have a CRT tv (34" sony wega)
cud've used it if i had a projector.

btw servo seems really nice. it would be my 1st HT purchase so i consider myself a NOOB. it won't be a hassle to set the crossovers with this sub .... am i rite ??!!!

adding to that since my dealer emphasized on getting a POLKaudio setup, all LSi series. i did some research and some ppl say tat polks are sensitive, as in if u crank up the volume all of a sudden ,or turn them on with a high volume ,the drivers/tweeters get damaged.
is there ne truth?

and how wud u compare a paradigm reference setup with polk lsi setup???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Polk LSis are not bad, and sensitive is probably the wrong description. The tweeter is sensitive to clipping. The LSis are low impedance, but as long as you have enough power to keep them happy, you won't have any problems with them.

I have LSI7s in one setup. IMO, the highs are smoother on the LSis, but the midrange is better on the Studios. The two lines compare quite well, and it's almost a toss up, with the edge going to the Studios, IMO.

GregBe

Second Unit
Not to confuse matters, but I will throw this into the mix. Audition the Monitor Audio Silver series. The reason I bring this up is after tons of auditioning, my final three choices were Studio 20, Lsi7 and Monitor Audio S2. I came to the exact same conclusions as John did. I liked the midrange of the 20's better than the Lsi7's, but the 20's sounded slightly harsh to my ears at higher volume levels. I had never really considered Monitor, but after a lot of research, many people were singing their praises. Sure enough, to my ears, they hit the best qualities I liked out of the Studio 20's and Lsi7's (seductive midrange with detailed yet smooth highs). I bought the Monitor S2's with the matching center speaker. I am thrilled.

BTW, you can get screaming deals on them now since the newer version of the Silvers are coming out in a few weeks. I was able to secure 33% off at The Good Guys.

Good Luck
Greg

GregBe

Second Unit

Oops, didn't see that he was in Pakistan. Well the audio opinions still hold true.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Nauman - 20's are very competent speakers. Depending upon the size of the room, there may be little difference w/ the 40's - maybe a slight midrange smoothness and a tad more bass, but the sub will cover the low end. As far as a sub, the Server-15 is glorious, but if you can get a good deal on a 2200 you should give that a close look & listen. The 2200 is kind of a hidden gem in the Paradigm line - do some research and you'll probably find just how good it can be. W/ a really good price it can be hard to justify a 15.

I had the Monitor center w/ Studio mains for a while, and then was able to A/B both centers. The 370 is not bad and you might not notice much difference - until you hear a proper Studio center. Even a Reference v2 center is just that much better - it's just more right to my old ears. A 470 or even 570 is worth it - and if you don't get it now, you eventually will. Save yourself the grief of that upgrade...

Nauman

Agent
TimMc: pw2200 was my first option after considering the price difference b/w servo and 2200. but ive made phone calls to every end of my beloved land, and nobody has it and unlikely to ship it with warranty and aftersales service. so it was kinda risky for me.
ill have to keep one center channel and aslong as 470,570 r not available ill keep the 370 on some return/exchange terms.

and greg , .. yea ! no Good Guys in Pakistan , only 1 bad guy i have to deal with :D

regarding the comparison b/w monitor A. ,paradigm, and POlk:.
u might be right abt them ,but i have limited choices.

i had in my mind to upgrade to 40's frm 20's when its available. i think tat wud solve the midrange or harshness issue if any( to my ears) :)

i dunno why somewhere in my heart i have liking for paradigms :b

btw thank u all for ur input in this thread

mackie

Supporting Actor
If you like Paradigm, go ahead and get Paradigm. They make a good speaker, and I don't find the 20s to be harsh unless I turn them up to ear bleeding/ hearing damage levels. I don't listen at those levels like I did 10 years ago. The 40s will do the same thing, so there won't be much difference between the two. This is not to say they won't sound good at loud levels. You'll be in the 100 db area before they start sounding harsh... I say all this to encourage you to be happy with 20s if that's all that available. Waiting for the next upgrade can be painful:D

Nauman

Agent
now, im almost closing in to my big HT purchase. some small matters are left to take care of.

even after a wait , studio 40's are not to be found here. so i have the following setup available.

fronts: studio 20's
center: cc 570 / 370 ( im goin with 570)
SS: adp 170 or adp 270 /(or may be ill hook up 20's)
servo 15

the salesman suggested to power them up with parasound A 23 and Denon 2105 or HK 330.

i just have basic knowledge abt bi-amping, but the salesman said it will definetely give better sound over a single Denon 3805.

if i go for a bi-amping setup ,wut reciever shud i hook up. HK 330 or denon 2105 or some yammy???

the surrounds are not matched for reference setup since ADP 170 and ADP 270 are available. there must be some difference b/w adp 470 and the above mentioned but is it a significant one. ?
.. and how wud the studio 20's go for a rear setup instead of ADps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks