Paradigm Reference grills, on or off?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I know that Paradigm recommends that the grills stay on, and that should be my answer right there...but they just look so much better naked [​IMG]
    I just got my speakers today, so they are still breaking in. I'll wait until they have a few hours in them before trying to listen for differences, but im wondering what what all the other Paradigm Reference owners think?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If the manufacturer tells me to do something with their product for optimal performance, I damn well listen!! Seriously though, I've taken mine off for a time and the sound difference is hardly noticable if at all. I leave mine on for the single reason that I wouldn't know where to store them if I kept them off. To each his own I guess.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I've asked this question a while back and I also have contacted Paradigm tech. The grilles are definitely part of the design. So they recommend you leaving it on. However if you take it off and like them then I don't see why not. I have found that leaving it on gives a more focused sound. Whether that is what you want is another matter.

4. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

i've undressed my 60's and cc for looks also, but found it annoying after a few days. they draw to much attention to themselves.
    also, i found myself staring at a driver, hypnotized! hehe,
    so i covered them back...
    its when i want to impress friends, that they come off again.
    sound wise, found no particular difference.
    [​IMG]

5. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

With my 40's I leave the grills on most of the time. To me the grill tones down the high frequencies just a tad and diffuse the overall sound slightly. However the imagine does suffer as a result. So the grill goes on and off depending on the music and the mood I am in when I listen to music but for movies the grill is always on.

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter