What's new

Paradigm Reference and Signature (1 Viewer)

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me if there's a big difference between the studios and the signatures.

Is it really worth paying 4 times the price to get a pair of S8?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you are primarily an HT person, I don't think you'll find a HUGE difference between the two lines. The difference is noticeable, but I don't know that I can justify spending twice the money if you're using it for HT.

With regard to music, I'd say there is a more significant difference between the lines.

Jason GT

Second Unit
There is IMO a definite difference between the two series of speakers. However what I hear may not be the same as what you hear - so as always the best solution is to listen for yourself.

The same thing applies to the question of value - for someone making six figures, it probably isn't too difficult (not meaning to imply easy) to drop so much on speakers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Agree with the above, the difference is much more important for music use. I know I'd have a heck of a hard time deciding, so you should spend a good deal of time with models from each range in your pricerange.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Okay thanks for the input guys

I currently own a pair of Studios 60 and i'm quite satisfied with the sound.But i still feel it could be much clearer and detailed.

By the way i may be able to have a listen to the Signatures soon since there's a festival here in montreal in a few weeks.

Can any of you guys name some super high end speakers?
I mean speakers that easily surpass the Studios or the Signatures?

Thanks in advance!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Antonio, did you hit the lotto? If so, feel free to consider me your long lost cousin from Atlanta :)

I can't help you in the slightest about a speaker that would 'easily surpass' the Sigs.......but what I can suggest is perhaps what you may be looking for is something different. Why not give a listen to the Magnepan 3.6 (~4k) and see what you think. If that's not 'super high end' enough, give the 20.1 (~10k) a listen. I bounced around different 'box' speakers for a while until I stumbled upon Magnepan's smaller model kind of by accident.......It's a different sound, for sure.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Antonio I find that there is not a lot of love for paradigm among the audiofile folks. When you start getting away from HT and more into music it seems opinions about gear starts to change, its just different.

I agree with Alan, go find some magnepans to listen to. I also have a couple buddies who are loving mirage speakers, one of them upgraded from magnepans.

Then there is the sonus faber stradivari homage the greatest speaker I have ever heard, well they better be for a mere 40-50 grand! I have never heard anything so amazing... At any rate listen to some sonus faber stuff as well.

If you have that much cash to drop you have a lot of choices other than paradigm. The sigs are well respected as well, don't rule them out by any means.

Its going to come down to what you want to achieve.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I was able to compare a full Reference set-up: Studio-100, CC-570, 1 pair of Studio-40 and Studio20, Servo-15 to a full Signature set-up: S8, C5, 2 pairs of S2 and Signature Servo.

My room is fully treated. I had both set-ups for a full 2 weeks to compare them.

And I kept the Signature set-up. :D To my ears, there was a definite improvement. I use them with the Anthem D1, Anthem P5 and Bryston 4BSST.

To me, the Sigs were well worth the price of admission compared to the Refs. The C5 particularly is the gem of the Sig line. An awesome center speaker. One of the best I have heard.

I was able to compare the S8 side-by-side with some Verity Audio Sorastro, and the Sorastro were not 10X the price better then the S8, and far from it...

But between the Refs and the Sigs, different people (particularly with different budgets...), with different ears and rooms, will have different opinions. But the only way to know for sure is to try them both home if you can, in your room, with your system.

I did it. And I bought the Sigs: S8, C5, 2 pairs of S2, and the Signature Servo.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is a MAJOR difference between the two. The Sigs are definitely in a different league than the Refs.

You may also want to give the Joseph Audio line a listen. I compared them to the Sigs, and I felt the Josephs were more clear and detailed.

Others would definitely include Aerial and Thiel, in addition to Sonus Faber and probably Vienna Acoustics.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator

The Mirage OM5/OM7 are vastly underrated transducers. They produce truly fabulous sound in every important parameter.

Joey_V

Second Unit
The sonic difference is there but lets not forget that part of the price you're paying is due to the fact that the Sigs are just much better built with much better parts. Sigs in true wood veneer... especially in bird's eye maple.... drool... almost like marble!! WOWOW!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Antonio, what are you powering your setup with? Though the Sigs would be a significant upgrade over the Studio's, for the price difference you may want too look into a new pre/pro/amp combo.

Kevin

Scott_N

Second Unit
Antonio

If you are looking for speakers truly better than Paradigm try Kharma, Verity Audio, JMLab Utopia and Merlin.

RobertS

Grip
Hi All,

My dealer gives you a year to upgrade your speakers for free so I am looking at going from the monitor line to the reference or the signature line this summer. When I first bought my speakers last fall I was mainly looking at HT but lately found myself listening to alot of 2ch music. The set up I am thinking about would be:

1.)Studio-40's (front)
CC 570 (center)
ADP 470 (surrounds)

2.)Sig 4 (front)
C3 (center)
ADP 470 or the Sig ADP (Surrounds)

I know that I will more than likely be paying close to retail seeing I am upgrading so what would be a good price on either set. I will be running the system with a Rotel RSX-1067 and I was planning on bi-wiring the front speakers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks