Paradigm Reference 100 vs Rocket 750

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Martin_Frohlich, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Martin_Frohlich

Martin_Frohlich Stunt Coordinator

I have the version 1 Studio Paradigm Reference 100 speakers and the Paradigm Reference center channel. I am thinking of getting something new just for fun and am looking at the Rocket by Onix rS750 and RSC200 center channel. I am about 70% home theater and 30% music. Does anybody have experience with both speakers. I have never heard the rockets myself so am looking for general feedback on whether this is step backwards in my system, a parallel move or an upgrade in terms of quality. Any opinions. I am considering putting my Paradigms up for sale on here because the new toy bug has hit me?

2. Martin_Frohlich

Martin_Frohlich Stunt Coordinator

Bump

3. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Without trying to rub Para owners the wrong way, I'll say that I owned V2 Studio 40s(same tweeter & mid driver as the 100s) + Studio CC and moved to a 750 & 200 setup and it was a stunning upgrade. No contest with my system. At the time I powered with HK and a B&K after that.

Just an opinion.
    E

4. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Here's the exact review for you on the rocket homepage. Its actually archived off the avsforum. Happy reading!

Studio 100 vs. RS 750

5. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

There is a big difference in the v1, v2, and v3 sounds IMO.
    Paradigms and Rockets have a very different sound to them as well. It is a step in a different direction as they have different sounds, you may or may not like one over the other. You will have to be the one to judge what direction this is for you. If you like the sound better then it is a good thing. If not, well you can always try something else. Only you can tell what works best for you. [​IMG]

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A couple of comments—first the Rocket 750s in the comparison don’t have quite as much treble energy as the ones being shipped today (the Signature 750s). Mark made a decision to add just a tad more in the upper end to the 750s.

I’ve never done an A/B comparison, but I do think that there is a considerable difference in the overall sound of these speakers. Which is preferable depends on your preferences.

The Rocket center is a great speaker—I can’t comment on that Paradigm center. But if you feel that you might be missing just a bit with your center, I expect that you’d be pleased with the RSC200.

The 750s thrive on a lot of clean power when driven to high levels. And since they are by design not aggressive on the high end, you can listen to them at very loud levels. If this is your preference, make sure that your receiver is reasonably robust. But if you don’t drive them too hard, you won’t have to worry.

7. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

The Rockets that I auditioned were the Sig 750s they sound quite different to the Paradigms (all versions). Have to go with what you like the best. [​IMG]

That comparison is a bit old, it compares the v2 and the old 750. The sigs and the v3 are different from the old versions too. Oh, well it compares 2 speakers that you can only get used now. [​IMG]

I think the RSC200 and the CC-570 both do very well as a center, again just my opinion. [​IMG]