What's new

Paradigm Ref Studio v.2 shielded? (1 Viewer)

Scott M

Agent
Someone told me that the version 2 Ref Studio series speakers were already shielded(specifically the 60s). Is this true, I thought shielding was extra and had to be ordered?
I'm looking at putting them around 8 inches from a 32 Wega, do I even need shielding?
Thanks.
------------------
-scott

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,
Unfortunately, the Paradigm Ref. v.2 speakers do not come shielded. To have the speakers shielded, is an additional cost, and usually has to be specially requested.
The only Paradigm Ref. speaker that comes shielded (as a standard equipment) is the Paradigm Ref. CC.
At 8" away from your t.v. would make me worried a bit. From what I understand, the Vagas are quite sensitive to electro-magnetic fields. You may want to see if your dealer can loan you a speaker so you can see if it causes interference (just switch to the "Blue" screen to see if you notice any distortion.
Hope I've helped :)
Mass

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I just ordered my Paradigm Studio 60s. Shielding was extra. One store quoted me $80 for the pair. Others slightly less.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got my Titans in a shielded version for the same price as unshielded at my dealer...but then they are only Titans.
I have my CC-170 (also comes shielded only) sitting right on top of my WEGA and there is no distortion, however, I have a pair of unshielded Titans in my BR, and they do interfere some with the Panasonic Tau (approximately 8-10" away).
The distance between the speakers, as you stated, is not sufficient to give you a good front stage. They should be in the neighborhood of 6' to 8' apart.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 13, 2001 at 06:29 PM]

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have my unshielded Studio 40s about 6" on either side of my RPTV and I've had no problems what so ever.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
My Studio/60 V.1 mains are 8 inches away from my 32 inch JVC D-series TV....no video problems (TV is located within an entertainment stand).
Dave

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Elliott,
Different RPTV sets vary with respect to their external magnetic susceptability. Make sure you keep a close eye on your RPTV for colour blotching at the edges when you do get your speakers. Personally, I have my unshielded speakers over 2 feet away from the sides of my RPTV because it fits the room acoustics better.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Scott M

Agent
Thanks guys.
I definitely want the shielding and it looks like the guy was just misinformed. I'd love to have them 6-8' apart but my current room setup won't allow it. Right now I have some bookshelf speakers on stands but they are shielded and I don't have any problems with them.
------------------
-scott

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
In my Bedroom setup, my Studio 40's are extremely close to my 27 Inch Wega.... I don't have a choice, I'm limited for space here......
The Studio 40's didn't come Shielded.... I had them shielded for 20 Bucks. My local AV store, had Polk Audio Shielding magnets.... He glued them onto the drivers with a poxy.....
It worked like a charm!!! :)
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
I have Studio 60v2's, and when I first had them set up, one speaker was extremely close to the edge of my 36" direct view TV, and there were no problems at all. When I first got my speakers, I had placed one of my rear surrounds (ADP-170) on top of the video cabinet about 6" from the top of my TV, and it caused some serious color blotches in the corner of the screen. Because of this, I thought the Studio's were sheilded, but I have no evidence that they are.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
By the way, what the heck are v2 anyway?
I must admit, I ordered my Studio 60 (v2 I guess) based on listening tests I had done previously with the initial non v2 version. I've listed to Studio 80 v2s and quite honestly I didn't notice a humungous difference vs the Studio 80 v1s, but of course this was something like a year later.
All I know is that they all sounded great.
biggrin.gif

What did they change?
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks