Paradigm Ref. 100's or 40's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Thomas, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Auditioning

I am very close to finally purchasing new speakers. I use them about 50%-50% for movies music. The delima is when I listen to two channel music I like to be able and turn up the volume to almost insane levels and would like quality sound without the speaker straining. Would the Reference 100's help to fill in where the 40's fall off? I plan on purchasing the Servo 15, CC and 20's to complete the system.

The present power is from a Denon 5700. I know that I will need to purchase a good quality two channel amp to pair with the 100's to make them properly perform. My room dimensions are 11' x 23' x 7'-6".

if anybody has a similar setup or comments I would greatly appriciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Mike, just to let you know that paired up with the right Amplifier, you can push the 40's to extremely high levels without hearing distortion. So high in fact that you could risk damaging your hearing. Now I didn't even listen to the 100's when I did my speaker auditioning for the 40's (due to space limitations), but the 40's can more than hold their own IMO.

3. Joe Bauman

Joe Bauman Stunt Coordinator

What amp/preamp/receiver are you using with your studio 40s?

4. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I would say go with the 40's UNLESS you have a seperate amp to power the 100's. I have owned both and the 40's are much easier to drive. I was using a 140WPC Marants SR18 to power the 100's and it needed much more for them to open up. I put the 40's up front and the 140WPC drived them perfectly with more bass than the 100's gave. When I hooked up a sep ampto the 100's they finally openend up and they did sound much better than the 40's at that time. So if you have a sep amp go with the 100's for better clarity and imaging. If not go with the 40's as they aregreat little speakers.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Right now, the Amp is a Anthem MCA-5 hooked up to a Harman Kardon AVR-45.

I will be replacing the Harman relatively soon with either the Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066 Pre/Pro after a comparison of the two.

6. Daniel_M

Daniel_M Stunt Coordinator

As I said to a previous poster the Studio

100's need power if you want to rock. My

amp is rated at 120 watts per channel and is not

nearly enough.

I'd say a minimum of 200 watts per channel

otherwise the red clipping lights will

start flashing.

I'm saving up for a Cinepro and my Studio

100's will be VERY grateful the day it arrives

(and last longer too!)

Dan

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Depends on what you have now and what you want to do in the future. I would go with the 100s. A lot of people love the 40s but there's no question that the 100s are better speakers when given enough power and enough volume. I'm no expert but I think anything over 100w should be fine although I think that everyone here is right that the 100 requires a lot more power.

I personally think the 40s are a bit inadequate as mains. Yes. Many people here love them but since you love listening to thinks loud I just think you need more oomph.

If you have the money to spend. Buy the 100s and buy a good amp. If not why not consider the Studio 60s. It's a great compromise IMO and it should fill your room really well. You wouldn't need the 100s.

Or you can buy the 40s and see how it goes if you don't think it's good enough you can always move it to the back.