What's new

Paradigm recommendation for center surrounds (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I am planning on getting a pair of speakers for a 6.1/7.1 setup and I would like to stick with the same company that my other speakers are from which is Paradigm. I am using the Studio 20's for my surrounds but did not really want to pay the money for another pair just like them. I am thinking of the Mini Monitors for the center surrounds. My amp is the Outlaw 750 which I hope would not be too much for the MM's. Would the MM's work on wall brackets or would stands be better? Thanks for any input.
------------------

Sean-D

Agent
Hey Matthew,
Why don't you give theParadigm PW-2200a chance? I'm sure it would fill up your rear surround channel completely!
wink.gif

But seriously, I recommend you listen to the performance series ADP-70 surrounds and see if that maybe an option. I had a complete paradigm system about two years ago. I loved it. I would still have it if I hadn't moved upscale. My surrounds were the ADP-150's and they were great. I would recommend using one back surround speaker unless you have a very large room. If your room is to small, your surround balance can shift and you will be able to localize the rear speakers(no good).
frown.gif
Try using a single dipole surround and see if that works.(recommended)
smile.gif
Then if you feel you need it, add a second speaker to have a matching stereo pair.(highly unlikely) DO NOT USE direct radiating speakers. DD-EX 6.1 & 7.1 are matrixed surround sound formats and I think you should use dipole speakers to diffuse the sound and make it harder for your ear to pinpoint it's origin.(direct radiating speakers are much easier to peg.) If this were a DISCREET surround format I would go a different route.
Now, I'll just need your credit card number and... Link Removed
Post back later and tell us what you decided to do.
Good Luck, Matthew
patriot.gif

------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."
[Edited last by Sean-D on October 20, 2001 at 02:01 AM]

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Sean,
Thanks for that advice. I have thought about dipoles but my room just is not set up for that kind of speaker. I will let you know what I end up doing. Thanks again.
------------------

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Matthew I have Paradigms all around - check my setup on the link below.
I use a pair of Titans for the rear centre surrounds - works great!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Lou,
What is an EAD PM500? I know it is an amp but I have never heard of that brand. How well does it work for you? Thanks.
------------------

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
EAD Powermaster500 - discontinued now.
Their entry level amp is the Powermaster 1000 now.
Works great - improved soundstage and clarity over that provided by the Yamaha 2095.
The main thing with the speakers is to ensure they are all timbre matched.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks