What's new

Paradigm Rear Surrounds (1 Viewer)

David Sim

Agent
Can anybody tell me what I should use as rear surrounds in my setup?

I have Studio 100s, Studio CC and Studio ADPs as surrounds.
(SVS 20-39 PC+ on the way!!)
I want to add the rears for 7.1 and my dealer recommended using 20s.
They are too big and I would have to move my seating up 4' to accommodate them, not to mention mounting them somehow.

Do you think the in wall speakers would timbre match the rest of my speakers? If so, which ones would be best?

It would be the best option for me if they did but I guess I will use the 20s if it is the best/only option.

Brian-FB

Auditioning
Greetings David,

According to my glossy, colorful, sweet-smelling Paradigm Reference propaganda booklet, Paradigm makes in-wall/ceiling speakers which match the reference line. They all have SA-xx model numbers. The SA-25 uses the same drivers as the Studio/20, with a slightly different crossover point. Probably worth a look.

- Brian.

David Sim

Agent
Brian,
The SA-25 is exactly what I was looking at.
I wonder how different the sound characteristics of an in wall speaker will be from the rest of my speakers.
The only way to truly find out is by cutting holes in my wall. (Which I have no problem with. It's the patching afterwards that I suck at.)
I looked at the SA-25 and the 100 side-by-side in the showroom and the mid-range looks completely different in the two even though the dimensions are the same.

I emailed Paradigm with this question a while ago and have not gotten a response.

Darren_Falco

Auditioning
David,

I was in a similar, but different situation regarding what to use as my center channel. I have a FP setup and wanted to front of the room to be as clean as possible, thereby removing a standard center channel from my choices. I use Studio 40 fronts, Studio ADP for surround and SA-25's for my center. I biwired off the center channel of my amp to each SA-25 located below my screen about 1' apart from eachother. The impedence is now 6 ohms, but there isn't a noticable difference with the other speakers. Bass from the speakers is definately lower, which I think is pretty consistant with other in-walls. The speakers blend in perfectly with the other speakers though. If you know Seven Bridges Road from Hell Freezes Over the five voices from the Eagle's are separated into each of the five channels. I can't hear any difference in the quality of the center channel compared to the others.

IMHO I really don't think you would be disappointed with the SA-25's.

Darren

David Sim

Agent
Thanks Darren. That cinches it. I am going with the 25s.
One more question though. Since I haven't really seen many posts
regarding in wall speakers, what price should I shoot for with my dealer for the 25s?
I think he said $550 retail?
Again thanks for your help.

Dave

Darren_Falco

Auditioning
I think that I paid $400 for mine, but I picked up all of my Paradigms along with an Anthem AVM20/MCA5 at the same time. I got a pretty good deal on them because of it.

Good Luck!

Darren

Brae

Supporting Actor
David (Sim), what are you driving your 100's with? I have these, as do I have the CC/ADP's. Curious as to how you are maknig out from an amplification standpoint.

David Sim

Agent
I have the Outlaw 950 pre/pro and Outlaw 770 amp.
Without getting more technical than my knowledge allows, they sound great with this combination.
I have the 100's and CC set to reference on the 950 at +3dB for my listening position.
When I turn the volume up all the way to +10dB they sound clear as a bell.
The 770 amp is rated at 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I just used Paradigm Atoms for my SB channels since I had them anyways.

For the amount of info in the rear I don't see the point of spending too much $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks