paradigm questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_O, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

OK, My setup right now is Cerwin Vega mains and center and Paradigm ADP 150 surround dipoles. (I know, WTH??) I would like to upgrade my mains and center to Paradigms as well. My question is which ones to get? The Monitor 3's and the CC350 look good, but will they be timbre matched to the ADP 150s? I was also thinking of going for the Studio series, but they may be out of my price range. So are the Studios similar in timbre to the Monitor 3's, and are they worth the extra money? Basically I am trying to get Paradigms which will be a good match for the surrounds I already have. Also is there a pricing guide on their website b/c I didn't see one.

2. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

Well, matching the rears is the least critical. Now having said that I will say it gets more important with 5 channel music but adp's are more forgiving. I like both lines monitor and studio I have the studio line but the monitor line is competitive in its price range and both sound nice. I feel the studio do sound better but it up to you and your budget. Take a listen to them or better yet see if your dealer will let you home demo them. Then go back in a few days and take a listen again. I think the adp 150 was in the performance line you could take a listen to them also. And no there is no price sheet online.[​IMG]
    Good Hunting,
    Matt[​IMG]

3. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Phil_O
    I agree with Matt . I also have a mix of studio and
    monitor Paradigm speakers and I think it works fine.
    The difference between the monitors and the studios
    is not that great but to me it was worth the extra
    dollars.
    Like Matt said the best thing to do is to listen to them
    both before you make your choice.
    Good luck [​IMG]
    Robert

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I had a pair of Monitor 3's before I traded up to the Monitor 7's. I wouldn't recommend the Monitor 3's to go along with the CC-370. I loved the 3's for two-channel HT (poor college sophmore at the time, no surrounds, no center), but I don't think they would match the CC-370 very well. My main problem with the Monitor 3's was that the bass was a bit sloppy at times and it seemed as though the mid-range was sacrificed for the lower-end.
    Personally, I'd recommend Minis to go with a CC-370. If I had to "do it all over again" I'd go with Minis over my Monitor 7's. I'm using the Minis right now as mains (I already packed up the rest of my setup and moved it ahead of my move-out date, am am using the time to break in the Minis) and I really like them. It seems a shame that I'm moving them to the back where they'll get neglected [​IMG]

5. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

So the Monitor 7's would be a better match, Dave? How much price difference is there between them and the 3's? And to you all, about how much is the cost between the studios and the Monitors comparing similar models?

6. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

And would the Minis sound as "robust" as the others? Maybe it's just the name throwing me off...

7. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

The studio line for wood is:
    Studio 20 $900
    Studio 40 $1200
    Studio 60 $1600
    Studio 100 $2100
    Studio cc $500(the center doesn't come in wood)
    Those are rough prices so YMMV,also I think for laminate deduct about $200 or so.
    Matt[​IMG]

8. Tony Baker

Tony Baker Extra

I have the Monitor 3's and CC-370 in my HT and think they sound great. I also looked at the Studio series before buying but could not justify the cost/performance difference. Like everyone says though, listen for yourself.

I have mine set to small and do not find the bass sloppy at all. I feel the Monitor 3's blend well with my sub as well.

9. Dave Schofield

Tony, I didn't have a sub, so the 3's were doing the low freq work. With a sub, I do agree that the 3's wouldn't be nearly as muddy, however then their 8" driver wouldn't be very useful. The 3's suffer from what I would call "tweeners syndrome", where they are a little too big for good mid-range and a little too small for good low freq...
    The Monitor 7's would be the best match with a CC-370, followed by the the 5's, then the Minis.
    Prices (MSRP):
    CC-370 - $329
    Monitor 7 - $649
    Monitor 5 - $519
    Monitor 3 - $399
    Mini Monitor - $349
    You can see why the Minis are so popular among Paradigm owners [​IMG] The 5's are almost exact matches to the CC-370, the 7's are just the 5's in a floorstanding 'box'.
    Take a listen to the Monitors (mini through 7's) and the Studio line. The studio line is very impressive, the monitors nearly as impressive with a much lighter pricetag.
    Phil, their name betrays their performance, give them a listen and you'll understand. [​IMG]
    Paradigm (Monitors/etc): http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/buyer...-speakers.html
    Paradigm Reference (Studio): http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/buyer...-speakers.html

10. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Gonna try to make it to local dealer this weekend and give 'em a listen. I am positive they'll sound better than my current Cerwin Vegas with single 8's ("tweener syndrome") [​IMG]

11. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

Phil: I just sent you email regarding this topic.

12. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Well I ended up buying the 5's. I couldn't justify the purchase of the studio line as nice as they sounded.(They were also using better equipment to power the studios however.) They sound great compared to my Cerwin Vegas. Can't wait til they're broken in some. Next step is the center channel, probably cc170. They're getting me a real good deal on it.

13. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I am kinda in the same boat as you. I am looking to upgrade from Titans to Monitor 3's simply because of the fact that I demo'ed them for 2 channel stereo (and 2 ch. SACD) and absolutly fell in love with their sound. With SACD, I think I've "maxed" out the Titans for sound quality. I am starting to hear their limitations. I checked out the Mon.3's, and Mon. 5's, but really appreciated the 8" driver with the 3's and music.

My question would be if they would match fairly well with the CC-170? I am not interested in upgrading the center channel at this time unless the CC-170 really doesn't mate with the monitor line.

Anyone care to ease my mind or tell me if it does make a difference.

Thanks

Matt

14. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Well the guy at Absolute Sound in Winter Park said the CC170 and CC370 both match the sound of the Monitor 3's and 5's. This is because their tweeters are the same. However the CC170 has 5 1/2" mids and the CC370 has 6 1/2" mids (pretty sure that's what he said) but the Monitor 3's have an 8" whereas the Monitor 5's have the same 6 1/2"'s as the 370. Also the CC370 handles more power.

15. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Phil O, I think your dealers confused.. The cc-170 uses a 3/4 ceramic/metalic tweeter, cc-370 1 inch titanium tweeter. I have a cc-170 mated with minis and it sounds okay, but I regret not spending the extra $100 on the better cc-370.

Aaron

16. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Aaron.

If you look on the Paradigm website, the CC-170 is indeed listed as a match to the Monitor line. As far as my local dealer said, the CC-170 is presented as such to appeal to customers on a tighter budget. This makes some sense. If someone is primarily interested in two-channel source material, and watches movies infrequently, it might be a good idea to go for the CC-170.

I'm vacillating between the 170 and 370 myself. An interesting 'feature' that the my dealer noted about the CC-370 is its angled top. It is angled in such a way so that you can put on a shelf 'upside-down' and it will fire up to the listening position. I know what you're thinking, but the grill comes off and can be mounted to match the orientation. Neat, eh?

-Nick

17. Dave Schofield

Another thing to think about, for those into aesthetics, is that the 370 is a huge mother. It dwarfs my roommate's 36" TV. If a smaller model sounds identical *to you* I wouldn't hesitate in going for it.

18. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The CC-370 will be a better match for the Mini's. I would try your hardest to scrap up the extra $100 for the CC-370. I have the Minis and CC-370 up front, and Titans in the rear. In comparing the Titans and Minis, I found the Mini's 1" PTD tweeter handled midrange better, and the Titans' 3/4" CMC was a little harsh on the upper end while struggling on the midrange a bit. Therefore the Minis sounded fuller and cleaner. Now, I haven't heard the CC-170 myself, but I would assume that these same characteristics would translate into the centers. Don't get me wrong, these are both great speakers, and I had to listen carefully to find a difference. So listen to both if you can and decide for yourself.