What's new

paradigm question (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Each speaker has it's own unique sound. Some people do not like the sound of the Paradigms. For example, I'm not a big fan of the monitor series sound (other people love it). Your best bet is to audition a wide variety of products and choose the speaker that sounds good to you (regardless of our opinions).

Alex*P

Grip
thanks greg. i already did all the testing,etc and own a paradigm system. i love it. i was just trying to get opinions out of curiosity. you learn different perspectives that way. i tend to get rose colored glasses when i finally purchase something and this is a way for a set of different perspectives.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
After auditioning a whole bnch of brands, I have realised that I really like my Paradigm speakers (monitor 7). I honestly do not know if they are more accurate than the other speakers I heard, nor do I care. Actually I suspect they are not, as I can heard a peculiar fowardness in the midrange.
All I know is that I LOVE their sound, and can't wait to upgrade to the Studio 100s.
OK so this isn't what you wanted to hear, I know... ;)
--
Holadem

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
After seeing Paradigm get so much praise here, I decided to try them out. I've only heard the Studios, not the Monitors or the lower end stuff. I found they were overly bright and fatigued my ears only after a few minutes. Their mids seemed a little thin (especially after hearing B&W's) but they produce a lot of bass. (According to some posts I've read here, I guess Paradigm deliberately puts a hump in the bass response of all their speakers.)

I've listened to them on several occasions and I've tried to like them, but they were just too bright for me.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I found they were overly bright and fatigued my ears only after a few minutes. Their mids seemed a little thin (especially after hearing B&W's)
Funny, I thought the exact same thing about B&W compared to paradigm, I even started a thread about it! :eek:
--
Holadem

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I don't like their price range.
If I could get their Studio 100 sound quality for $400 I would like them more. :)

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I personally didn't like the mini monitors compared to the B&W 601's. To my ears it was like you threw a blanket over the speakers when I switched from the B&W's to the Paradigm...IMHO. But....the studio 20's blew away the 601's...those are the ones i like and if you have the extra $$ 40's and up are awesome.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Interesting, really. I am seriously considering the Studio 100's (Rosenut veneer) for my theater's mains. Yes, price can be an issue ($400-500 Premium for the Rosenut veneer alone!). Of course, if I lived closer to up-state NY or anywhere in New England (born in RI, but now in Atlanta), I'd sneak across the border and get them at a serious discount.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I don't like Paradigm speakers because my store doesn't carry them and therefore when people go out and listen to Paradigm after listening to some of my lineup, they don't always come back...
;-)

-Seb

Brae

Supporting Actor
I was previously able to determine three authorized Paradigm dealers via my zipcode. Of most recent, that has become one. That's ok, though, because one of the now-not-listed dealers took a snob-elitist attitude.
Evidently, my $3K wasn't worth their time when I went into their store and was the only customer to be seen. :)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Studio 80s and love them...although I like the 100s more...it seems that that 100s have a wider sound stage..who knows.

As for the brightness, sure they can be bright, but I just recently changed my speaker cables fromt he Van Den Hul Clear track (i think it's silver plated) to some Audioquest cables (copper) and it "toned" down the brightness. However, I never really minded the brightness as my room acoustics is quite dead so I can appreciate a more forward speaker.

Now to think of it I never realised the Paradigms were bright until other people started saying that they were...hmmmm funny.

I do like the B&W 801s though. It was between them or the Paradigms. Since I live in Canada, and only 25 minutes away from the Paradigm factory, I went with the Paradigms. A very close call though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't find the Monitor line to be very bright, but I have found the Studio line to be quite bright and very sensitive to placement and room acoustics, as well as the gear they are hooked to.

Alex*P

Grip
how hard have you driven the monitors,and what was that experience like?
did they have performance flaws,besides too bright?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I recently heard some of the Paradigm Studio line speakers for the first time at Evolution Home Theater here in Atlanta (Duluth actually). Granted, they were in the worst possible room in the place and along the long wall, but they sounded awful to me. They were too bright, midbass was bloated, and Dave Matthew's vocals were muffled. They switched between 2-3 different pairs and the only real difference was the amount of bloat. Maybe they would have sounded better in a different room (couldn't have sounded worse) but I can't imagine actually listening to music on them if they sounded anything like what I heard when moved to a decent room.

Brian

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Sure people do not like them. Of coures I am not one of them. I love my Monitors. But if everyone liked Paradigm, then they would not buy any other speakers and Paradigm would be the only speaker company in existence. Which that is not good, because competition makes better products.

Alex*P

Grip
all of those who have test driven or owned or own paradigm-would you say they've peaked, are on the way up,or on the way down?
if down,who is going to replace them, for the money.

who likes klipsch?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks